If cats were dogs...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
This probably seems like a completely daft posting, but I'd really like to take my little cat out into the woods with me, as I'm sure she would love scampering around in the trees. I'm not here to argue the merits or otherwise of dogs, but I don't like dogs, probably because I'm scared of them. We never had dogs when I was growing up and I have small boy memories of big dogs running at me and barking so the 'fear' is pretty deep seated now.

But it would be really nice if I could take Mitzi on a lead into the woods - she's such a funny little character - but I bet she'd get lost and then I'd be s0rry.

Am I crazy? Does anyone else think like this?

Geoff

mitzi_01.jpg

mitzi_02.jpg

mitzi_03.jpg

stardust

Oct 15, 2007
somerset
I guess it would depend on what the cat's used to. In the summer I travel the festival circuit, and a few of us who travel together take cats, but that's because they're used to it, and jump in the trucks the second they look like they're moving off, (even if it's only going for an MOT!)

But there are other cats here at the farm who would hate it because they've never left the farm. It's what they're used to. If she's not used to woods or leads I would imagine she'd hate every second of it. She may get used to it in time though.

Why not try it and see, but do it in a place quite near to home so that if she does a runner there's a better chance of getting her back. Does she have a micro chip? I would definately get one put in it if you go further afield.

I don't know where you'd put her at night though, as I doubt a cat would stay in a hammock. This is the problem I'm having deciding whether or not to take the dog, is where to put him at night! A cat would be even harder. Maybe you could take a tent and zip her in. Then she could double as a hot water bottle aswell.

Ben_Hillwalker

Forager
Sep 19, 2005
Surrey
My parents once had a pair of cats that would follow them when they took the dog for a walk. They would keep up for long distances over fields and hills but would get puffed out quite easily and need to rest. Since then I have occasionally seen people accompanied by their cats when out walking.

I think that this is behaviour instilled from a young age as kittens follow their parents to find out about how to survive in the world. Pet cats follow their owners because of the same instinct, get to like it as it's a bit of an adventure and so carry on into adulthood. I don't know if an older cat would get the idea, especially if they are used to comfort, but pick a good time (summer) and an unthreatening location and give it a go.

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
grew up with a cat that would come on long walks with me and often follow me on paper round - however it did have a bad habit of getting lost a lot

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
You would have to get her used to a harness and lead first...has she ever been on a harness?

When we went on family holidays we used to take my cat, Brutus along, he had a harness, and after the first day, would return to the caravan once he had got used to the new surroundings. After that it was in and out just like at home.

Short term hols might be difficult, and also with a family (there were 5 of us) there were more people to keep an eye on him.

I take Ming, my ferret out on his harness often, he likes to see new things and meet people.

He loves car boots as he can look in the boxes, he likes being stroked by people, but you have to be careful, as he has only a limited patience, and several hours of that can make him a bit tired.

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
I wouldnt take a cat i would be too tempted to leave it, but if i had one of those ferret things it could could with my because it would sit on my shoulder all day and look cool :D

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I probably wouldn't actually take my cat out - it's more wishful thinking when I see people having fun with their dogs, because my little cat reminds me a lot of the behaviour of a little black and white terrier - a mischievous little scamp.

Geoff

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
...Am I crazy? Does anyone else think like this?...

Well, you're no crazier than me, Geoff. I've been trying to persuade a friend to bring their Guinea Pig along to the woods.I had this scheme that the GP might be useful for truffle hunting, and would be a good deal more manageable on Public Transport than a more conventional pig :)

Best regards,
Paul.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE