Drones

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'm in a mood to get a Drone so i can take some pretty Aerial footage in rural areas ( so please lets not digress to an argument on Privacy - I'm understanding and respectful of that viewpoint :) )

So does any one have a drone here? I'd like to know the decent entry level makes and prices , ideally the ones that will accept a POV headset - either a Slow drone or a Plane type thingyjig.

How much money do i need to drop and where do i drop it??

Many thanks.

TD

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
Can't comment, but just bear in mind that the UK are now looking to introduce the requirement for a licence and test for ownership (I think for anything over 250g or something)

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Good post! I've deliberated a few times about getting a drone...
I take it you're planning on one for private use and not reaching out for a commercial venture? A friend of mine has picked up the Go Pro model:

https://shop.gopro.com/EMEA/karma

He speaks highly of it for 'play' and photography.
Another friend has picked up a drone with the plan of gaining his commercial ticket for survey and thermography work:

http://www.dji.com/mobile/phantom-3-pro

I'm in two minds to look into a commercial ticket myself as there is quite a lot of opportunity out there for my line of work.

The one nugget I've gleaned so far is to buy a small one first and see how you get on with flying first. They can be a bit twitchy depending on the wind but if you can dial in to how sensitive they can be, you'll be a better pilot with the bigger models and more adept. POV apparently is different again especially when you're flying towards yourself!!
Update this post to show how you're getting on!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SiWhite

Nomad
Apr 1, 2007
Deepest North Hampshire
DJI Spark looks like a great entry level machine - but you'd likely need the dedicated controller to get over the limited range that comes with using a phone's wireless network.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Can't comment, but just bear in mind that the UK are now looking to introduce the requirement for a licence and test for ownership (I think for anything over 250g or something)

Yes - which is the reason for the question. I'd like to bag one before that time.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
TD; I'm pretty sure that the licensing will be a way off yet and will eventually cover registering of any drone I'm sure! They're all 'on the radar' with the software pre-installed for ceiling limits, gps fencing, etc. Bit of a trek but there's a new drone shop down the A30 at Bodmin that could help you no end:

https://www.hobbymounts.co.uk/shop/DJI-Quadcopters-Drones-Cornwall

As yet, I haven't ventured there but will do next weekend I'm planning. See what Maplins has in the £100-£150 mark for something to practice with and as a trial purchase; that's what I've been told and then if you're keen to go further, sell it on and upgrade. Remember that some will need a camera purchasing separately...

Sent from my iPhone using Morse...

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've contracted a licensed drone pilot for a job. He is flying the Phantom 3.
Up and down wild rivers, over waterfalls. Many places otherwise unseen.

Got a whole new roof + repairs put on my house. 100% up to code.
I needed documentary images to send on to the home insurance company.
He was visiting family, here in the right place at the right time.
Less than a week later, I got a really nice package attached to an email.
Suited my purpose exactly.

Canada's drone licenses are really tight. Great long list of "Don'ts" and a very short list of "Do's".
The useful commercial level license is a money grab, no more.
But, I guess they need somebody's neck in the noose if something goes wrong.

My opinion? Go for it. Drone images offer a POV which can't be obtained by any other means with any economy.

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
I would certainly try a drone forum rather than here ..
Tiny ones like the quad I have are great fun to get used to flying but are nothing like a proper photo drone like the DJI range which will fly a million times more stable, but also have tons more features to learn. Find a local club or someone local to you on a drone forum.

wheelnut

Tenderfoot
Dec 14, 2012
UK
Was visiting a relative on Sunday in a quiet rural area next to a canal and he has a walled garden, a drone come overlooking the garden, completely spoiled the quiet relaxed atmosphere, all of a sudden we are being spied on, if I'd had an air rifle close it would have "gone missing".
so please lets not digress to an argument on Privacy
I do understand that you want to be respectful, but that will go out of the window when you gain height and have a camera attached, anybody in the vicinity will feel that they are losing there privacy, and unless you have a stealth version the noise is going to annoy somebody as well, especially if you are in a rural area.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
People are training raptors to hunt drones. Would be entertaining.

Quiet 12ga shotgun loads are being developed with some sort of a netting load.
I'd just wait to see who comes looking for their toy & take their picture.

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
I'm in a mood to get a Drone so i can take some pretty Aerial footage in rural areas ( so please lets not digress to an argument on Privacy - I'm understanding and respectful of that viewpoint :) )

So does any one have a drone here? I'd like to know the decent entry level makes and prices , ideally the ones that will accept a POV headset - either a Slow drone or a Plane type thingyjig.

How much money do i need to drop and where do i drop it??

Many thanks.

TD

I have a DJI Spark, as I am into photography and videography, and I look upon it as another camera platform, which is extremely entertaining and fun to boot!

It is very easy to fly straight out of the box with no experience. It has functions like beginner mode and collision avoidance, and the technology you are getting for the money is exceptional.

The camera shoots video at 1080p at 30fps and 12mp stills and has a 2 axis gimbal and a 1/2.3" CMOS sensor, which is a pretty decent set up for such a small drone.

I would recommend the 'fly more' package which gives you the drone, controller, spare battery and propellers, prop guards and carry bag for the price of £699. Note, the basic package for about £514 gives you the drone only, which has to be controlled from a smartphone, but which gives limited height and distance of about 50m and 100m respectively. The controller will extend your height to 500m and your distance to 1.2 miles.

Plenty of videos on YouTube and info on t'interweb.

All in all, I'd thoroughly recommend this great piece of technology, you really won't regret it.

Hope this helps 👍🏼

Thanks,
Allan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: mowerman

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I have a DJI Spark, as I am into photography and videography, and I look upon it as another camera platform, which is extremely entertaining and fun to boot!

It is very easy to fly straight out of the box with no experience. It has functions like beginner mode and collision avoidance, and the technology you are getting for the money is exceptional.

The camera shoots video at 1080p at 30fps and 12mp stills and has a 2 axis gimbal and a 1/2.3" CMOS sensor, which is a pretty decent set up for such a small drone.

I would recommend the 'fly more' package which gives you the drone, controller, spare battery and propellers, prop guards and carry bag for the price of £699. Note, the basic package for about £514 gives you the drone only, which has to be controlled from a smartphone, but which gives limited height and distance of about 50m and 100m respectively. The controller will extend your height to 500m and your distance to 1.2 miles.

Plenty of videos on YouTube and info on t'interweb.

All in all, I'd thoroughly recommend this great piece of technology, you really won't regret it.

Hope this helps 

Thanks,
Allan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Many Thanks for this Post!!

Reactions: mowerman

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Was visiting a relative on Sunday in a quiet rural area next to a canal and he has a walled garden, a drone come overlooking the garden, completely spoiled the quiet relaxed atmosphere, all of a sudden we are being spied on, if I'd had an air rifle close it would have "gone missing".

I do understand that you want to be respectful, but that will go out of the window when you gain height and have a camera attached, anybody in the vicinity will feel that they are losing there privacy, and unless you have a stealth version the noise is going to annoy somebody as well, especially if you are in a rural area.

No thanks at all for this post! :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have had a play with a few little ones on the cheaper end of thr market and they are fun but the cameras are really no good. I have one at the minute thats around 125 quid that is fpv with controller and the video is prettu good. Will dig out the model later. I did lug it all the way to W coast scotland a few weeks ago but weather meant i didnt get tp use it.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I have had a play with a few little ones on the cheaper end of thr market and they are fun but the cameras are really no good. I have one at the minute thats around 125 quid that is fpv with controller and the video is prettu good. Will dig out the model later. I did lug it all the way to W coast scotland a few weeks ago but weather meant i didnt get tp use it.

Cheers Dwardo!!

I wouldn't mind one with a 'Follow me' protocol.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE