Golite Hex

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Please don't do this to me, I really want one of these, but to make it fully useable I'd want the inner as well and that just about pushes it out of my price range at the moment.

Matt

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
I had one, and I'd say that the inner is pretty much essential. The condensation in most conditions (even dry) is appalling without it, as the ventilation is pants.

They stand up to the wind and rain remarkably well, and are voluminous (capacious, one might say... :rolleyes: :p ). Personally, I think the best feature is the ability to suspend the tent from either an overhead branch, or a length of cord between two trees (much like a ridge line on our beloved bashas). This turns it into a real palace.

However - if you do use the inner, it pitches inner first. This is my major gripe and the reason I got rid of it. Having to pitch inner first in a supremely wet Scottish week was enough to put me off for life. It is possible to pitch the outer first, by first pitching the outer, then getting inside and removing the supporting pole and then putting the inner up. This, however, tends to leave the outer slightly slack in areas, and is certainly less than easy.

It's great tent, and vast for the weight (but bear in mind that the total weight including the inner is 2.34kg). But if you can ever envisage using it in wet weather then you will find it a lot less impressive.

Jake.

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Contrariwise, I recently got by just fine in mine (outer only) in the :censored: continuous rain.

Didn't find the ventilation a problem, nor condensation.

I just pitched it as far from the ground as the pole allowed, then used my (drybagged) kit to fill the gap on the windward side to stop rain bouncing under the fly.

Seemed to work OK. I now only take the inner for midgie related purposes.

Dear for what you get, though (bought mine s/h :D )

Jim.

May 25, 2006
Dartmoor
I have a hex 3, purchased as it is light enough to carry every day as an emergency shelter but large enough to use as a proper tent.

The good:

* Light and spacious. Easily sleep two adults with full kit. Good headroom in the middle.
* Quick to pitch and strike. Couple of minutes at most.
* Suprisingly durable fabric. Sheds water well and doesn't get soggy.
* Main peg out points can be individually tensioned. Easy to get a good pitch.
* Peg out points are reflective. No excuse for falling over your tent in the dark.
* Teepee design stands up well to moderately high winds.
* Double zipped door that can be rolled fully or half open.
* Strong and light pegs that stand up to a lot of abuse.

The bad:

* Condensation. Pitch with a good gap between ground and fly and in all but the worst of weather I would guy out some points to aid air flow.
* Seal the seams. They will let in water during very heavy rain, mine did anyway.
* Not enough pegs to anchor all the intermediate loops. Bit tight!
* Price. Certainly isn't a cheap option, should come with more pegs and some seam sealant.
* Extremely flammable, dire warnings about attempting to cook inside.

In my opinion the hex 3 is an excellent, if expensive, basic shelter for emergency use or weekends in the mountains. If I was using it for extended periods then the condensation would probably bother me enough to look for alternatives. The general build quality is very good, but I can't help but feel they skimped by not sealing the seams or providing enough pegs.

Hope that helps a little.

Dave

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
DavidL said:
I have a hex 3, purchased as it is light enough to carry every day as an emergency shelter but large enough to use as a proper tent.

The bad:

* Condensation. Pitch with a good gap between ground and fly and in all but the worst of weather I would guy out some points to aid air flow.
* Seal the seams. They will let in water during very heavy rain, mine did anyway.
* Not enough pegs to anchor all the intermediate loops. Bit tight!
* Price. Certainly isn't a cheap option, should come with more pegs and some seam sealant.
* Extremely flammable, dire warnings about attempting to cook inside.

In my opinion the hex 3 is an excellent, if expensive, basic shelter for emergency use or weekends in the mountains. If I was using it for extended periods then the condensation would probably bother me enough to look for alternatives. The general build quality is very good, but I can't help but feel they skimped by not sealing the seams or providing enough pegs.

Hope that helps a little.

Dave
I agree on the peg - but Iv not hade any of your other problems? If we ever meet up I will bring mine along so we could compair. (no jokes about you show me yours etc......)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I have the Hex 3 and nest coming from a mate in the States, I'll let you know how it works out after a week in North Wales :)

Nov 14, 2005
Northiam, East Sussex
I too have a hex3 and went a bit mad and bought the made to fit ground sheet and the inner tent as well to keep all my options open. To day though I have always used the inner and outer together. I have noticed on colder evneing condensation building up a lot n the inside of the outer main tent, but with the inner tent in use you wouldn't know about it unless you looked.

Its a great tent and very versatile. If you can run a line between two trees and suspend it instead of using a pole then it really is an impressive amount of space (and headroom) for such a light piece of kit.

To all you others who own them, what have you used on the seams?

Geoff

Nov 14, 2005
Northiam, East Sussex
Just thought I'd ask as I like to be prepared, but to date I haven't treated mine either and haven't had any problems, though I haven't exactly been out in any REALLY wet/windy conditions in it yet...

I'm still saving for my Tenttipi or maybe the cheaper alternative from outdoorcode which looks pretty good too.

:)

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE