Where can I get away?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 3, 2015
New Forest
I would like to spend up to a week away from things and people, in the woods getting my thoughts and head straight (I'm not mad just feel crowded)

I live on the edge of the New Forest, a remarkably crowded place where you're never far from a town, village, picnic spot or road.

Any nice quiet places where a man can spend time in the woods, cook over a log fire, see the stars at night (clouds permitting) and have a chat with, general moan at, God?

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
vZ91FrAl.jpg

eR8aMubl.jpg

glQA2UEl.jpg

Try Exmoor, I saw no-one at all for 7 days. You need to pick your spot but make sure you have the appropriate gear and the ability to use it properly..

S75bkXWl.jpg

Pay attention to this photo...break an ankle and rescue is not a phone call away..

ETDdlUQl.jpg

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
The Last photo and reminder is very valid Wicca. Hope you had a great time there.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
You could try here:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/C...dc43877b7d64281c!2m2!1d-4.69059!2d56.7602!1m0

Corrour Station, you can more or less walk for a good bit in any direction and see nobody, 50 square miles of nobody, little woodland but plenty heather stalks and bogwood, just don't set the moor alight. Take a fishing rod.

When you've had enough take the train back to civilisation. But don't linger too long into the late autumn as there's been the odd bushcrafter popped his clogs on Rannoch.

Last edited:

Brynglas

Corrode is good, and remote. There are a few munros that attract walkers so you'll see people about.

I'd have a look at the area of the Cambrian Mountains in mid Wales, particularly in the forests north and west of the Llyn Brianne reservoir system. Fantastic wild Country, you can go days without seeing anyone, and it's closer to you than Corrour!

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
"Scottish Highlands"
eg Knoydart = last wilderness,
eg north from Loch Maree
eg Rannoch or Dalwhinnie to Ben Alder & Prince Charlie's cave...
Many indigenous woodlands gone but plenty of plantations = shelter + dry tinder + logs!

Brynglas

Many of the places in the North West are close enough to major urban conurbations as to generate quite a bit of activity. The Forest of Bowland area ismnice and often overlooked, the quieter parts of Cumbria are also very nice. Mid Wales has The Arans just South of Bala, beautiful and quiet area.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Not surprisingly there's a lot love for the Scottish Highlands but the Cambrian Mountains that stretch from the Brechfa forest near Camarthen to the Claerwen reservoir are really worth a closer look. Sometimes though it's not so much about finding a place miles from anywhere but rather finding a place where folk seldom go. A classic example of this would be the ruins west of the Brechfa windfarm (map link) the OS says bridlepath, I say take a machete.

Brynglas

Not surprisingly there's a lot love for the Scottish Highlands but the Cambrian Mountains that stretch from the Brechfa forest near Camarthen to the Claerwen reservoir are really worth a closer look. Sometimes though it's not so much about finding a place miles from anywhere but rather finding a place where folk seldom go. A classic example of this would be the ruins west of the Brechfa windfarm (map link) the OS says bridlepath, I say take a machete.
Couldn't agree more, you can spend days in that part of the world and not see a soul.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Ardgartan forest in Scotland, near Arrochar is where i go the most. WA very good location and your never "too" far from help if required.

Tonysco

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE