Catapult/slingshot hunting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gandelff99

Jan 29, 2011
southport
i know,its infectious, i just bought the ergo meal deal package,as you say its for the oppurtunist hunter,ideal thing for a small pouch /pocket on a day sack/weekend bergan if your goin lightweight,cant say i'd be much cop at baggin game but them baked bean tins after supper would surely come into the crosshairs,looking forward to trying it out when it arrives in the week

Raybennett

Banned
Mar 16, 2010
Biddulph staffs
I think you'll suprise yourself. What I find is what I lack in accuracy at range, I make up with being a sneaky bugger. Haha. Stalking is the name of the game. The more you carry it the more game you'll see that you can confidently get. There's some good articles on here for stalking. Pigeon is delicious and easy to get within range! Rabbits are more difficult. But it's all in the strategy you use approaching them. Just the basics really, stay down wind out of sight and sound. I'm no seasoned stalker, but it seems to be working for me. I struggled a few times, then went a couple of times without my catty. I just tried to get within range. For me right now. 10m I know I'll bag em. I haven't looked back really. I think sometimes you can be to eager and chance it. But without anything to shoot with you concentrate on the stalk not the kill. Going off a bit I know. But slingshots have opened a new world of bushcraft and out door skills to me really.

gandelff99

Jan 29, 2011
southport
i used to be okay at stalking n stuff with air rifle hunting for rabbits n pigeons etc,but the range was 30mtrs or so there was a little more lee way in the approach which is much less than practically possible for the likes of me,however these cattys n especially these wooden hunter ones look so much more pocket friendly and out of sight out of mind than your average air rifle/bow etc,so another plus and with that extra power and impact force created using them big .44 balls wow, i really cant wait, i'll be practicing over and over again to get the grouping just right and then work on the power way before i even attempt taking game out,though them tin cans better watch in the mean time

gandelff99

Jan 29, 2011
southport
recently i have been watching with much intrest youtube vids of some swedish chap(or norweign)who makes and sells cattys galore.in one of the vids he takes a very strong catty,mounts it onto a gun stock(air rifle stock)adapts it in such a way he can load it like a rifle,and it fires ball bearings,single shot large calibre and with the adaptation of a scope is very accurate and powerful,he compared the test using ballistic jelly and a chronograph to compare between a pistol crossbow and a commercial crossbow that fires ball bearings soo the question is
if its illegal in the uk to hunt with a crossbow/bow and yet legal to hunt humanly(with land owners permission) with a slingshot, is the hybrid of a crossbow arrangement that shoots ball bearings classed as crossbow hunting or slingshot hunting, or is it the act of firing the crossbow bolt from the crossbow that makes it illegal
i have included some of the clips and adverts for this type of thing to explain better
http://www.made-in-china.com/showro...detailkagEcfRPjnHl/China-Crossbow-C-103-.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOd6r2x-j7I&feature=related

on some of them they have the ball bearing travel through a channel in the barrel length,others use a barrel,
is the interpratation of the law fall within differant catorgaries here
as anything being propeeled from a barrel could be classed as a firearm irrelavent of propulsion if it goes over the 12 ft lbs limit
or does it collide with the croossbow law

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
I find that the wrist braces on the Barnets (and their ilk) are useful, especially for novices.

Xunil...would a whisker biscuit have anything to do with your fishing mod? ;)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
This is mine, but i find it very difficult to find somewhere to practice.....
Thats a side shot birch multiplex, a tip is to look for No 2 fishing cast moulds, on ebay, which cost about a third of a catapult mould, and produce exactly the same thing.
A 12mm 12gram lead ball.
I can see how it would be bloody deadly!
IMG_20140905_193508_579_zps3eb03f54.jpg

Last edited:

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I know this is an old post but thought I would revive it and show what I carry when out and about

what do you carry

Nice! Love that shot bag and what's the knife??

This was last summers pocket dump..

Real nice with single 20mm gold bands, popping beer cans in the sun then chilling on the harp while the sun set. Ahh.. was a lovely summer.

Now I need a new catty and some more sun.. and more beer! :D

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I find that the wrist braces on the Barnets (and their ilk) are useful, especially for novices.

Arm braces also remove the need to have your thumb placed anywhere near the forks, as catching your thumb can be nasty, you can concentrate more on the shot and less on your hand/thumb position. This is a throwback to my childhood days.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE