An unfriendly Good Companion

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
To be fair even most campers don't know the name of their own tent never mind a "famous" one. I found this out when on holiday a couple of years ago when I asked people what their tent was when I was looking to buy a new one and had spotted something that caught my eye. It's a "Vango I think" was about as helpful as most people got.

The thing about fame is it does have to cross borders. It is not just about being well known in particular circle Take footballers for instanceDarren Anderton Played for England in 1996 as did Paul Gascoigne. Most people who are not big football fans will have only ever heard of Gascoigne though due to the fact that he became a public "character" and was featured in Newspapers and TV for both good and bad reasons.

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Lancashire (previously Dartmoor)
You must have been rich in those days Oldtimer! The Icelandic at £11 19s 6d - gadzooks, a veritable fortune! I could only afford the Pal-O-Mine standard at £6 19s 6d. The Blacks Pal-O-Mine range of sleeping bags and tents - now there's a name to conjure with! Standard and Super Pal-O-Mine tents and the Good Companion Major and Minor tents - with or without extended flysheet. Have I stirred any lost memories? :D

Regarding pitching the Good Companion: I don't remember how it was done but it couldn't have been too complicated. My mates and I managed it ok - aged 12.

Feb 11, 2015
Kent
You guys look like you know a lot about the good companion tent i have been given one with an extended fly sheet does it have extra poles? does it still pitch the same?
thanks in advance.
Jeff

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
You could.......perhaps with a little extender on top of the upright pole?

Normally with the extended fly, the tent is suspended beneath a substantial A frame which leaves the tent space free and keeps the flysheet clear of the tent. From this fits a ridge pole and again to an upright supporting the front of the fly extension.

The tent alone will stand just with the A frame. Peg out floor then eaves and tension. Fix ridge pole and upright and throw fly over this and peg and tension out.......Very simple.

For "Hang On Ice"...its a seminal tent design, made in 3 sizes predominantly, by Blacks of Greenock, from around the 1950s to 1970s or thereabouts in the final design. (It changed a bit throughout the early pre 50s....)
Brilliant tents with a slightly cultish following.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Does this thread ressurect at regular intervals?

I only ask because I'll mark my diary for next year if it does :D

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Oh, thats normal in Cornwall...Most folk here are dead and havent noticed it.

Anyhow I managed to get the GC up...and Ebayed. I got about £120 for it I think.

A grand tent.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE