A big knife swap for a woodlore

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
Ok so this is a big ask and maybe pushing my luck.

Now I'm looking at all my knives and thinking to myself "you have to many, if you could own just one knife which will it be? My answer is the A Wood woodlore" now iv been on the waiting list since 2012, I know... not long but I just can't wait no more.

Any way I thought I would offer my entire knife collection to someone who is willing to part with their Alan wood woodlore knife.
Now befor anyone ask I am not willing to swap these knives individually for any thing else or sell them.

So here we go guys

1.Let's start with the clone 01 tool steel, birdseye maple. I know what your thinking, but it would be nice to own the real deal.

2. A wright and son knife, rose wood handle

3.A wright and son knife antler handle, this one has a custom sheath and a regrind

4.a karesuando knife not sure which one, but a very good user

5.a custom mora style knife, no sheath

6. 2X mora 511 one with the finger gard removed and a neck sheath made

7. Mora classic no:1 this is a rare E Johnson version

8. Another 2X mora knive I believe these two have been discontinued, not sure the models
9. 1x brand new clipper with the old style handle, 1x brand new heavy duty mg, ray mears 30 years of bc version

10. 2X folder one camping brand and one opinel no:9

Fingers crossed

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415819512546.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415819512546.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 108
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415819909644.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415819909644.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 121
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415820052524.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415820052524.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 91
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415820233498.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415820233498.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 87
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415820389566.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415820389566.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 84
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415820497491.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415820497491.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 82
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415820642378.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415820642378.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 79
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415821190504.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415821190504.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 82

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
For some reason these 2 didn't load

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415821723306.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415821723306.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 94
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415821765323.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415821765323.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 64

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
How do you figure there's over £520 worth of knives here, the woodlore is 485

That's correct if you're working off selling the knives you own at full retail price. As all the knives are second hand (even if they are as new) I doubt they would command that price. Some Bushcraft knives on the market do keep their value but none your offering are IMO desirable enough to do that. You might get a trade if you had a Skookum Bushtool or a Bailey S4 but I can't imagine anyone wanting to swop a custom made AW for factory made blades.

I would suggest the second hand price for most knives is around 50%-75% of the original price. For example a brand new Falkniven F1 is around £120 and a second hand one in good condition goes for about £80.

The Woodlore is £485 but with a considerable waiting list, those that want to jump the queue will have to pay for the privilege. I don't know what the current rate is but I bet it's in excess of £600.

IMO you would be better selling all your collection then asking one of the knife makers here to make you exactly what you want. The Woodlore is a great knife but there are other great knives at far less cost.

Beefy0978

Forager
Jul 18, 2012
South west
I get the sentiment. I wanted the real deal too. I was lucky enough to get a Ben Orford at a very decent price. Worth every penny. I also get the value of the knife to me is far in excess of the sale price that someone else might pay. So in essence its with me forever. I'd save and get my name on the list, or consider one of the other top class makers out there.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...if you could own just one knife which will it be? My answer is the A Wood woodlore..."

It is a very nice knife, but its just a knife, you won't carve any better or dress game any better.

There are lots of other folks making quality knives out there, if you have your heart set on owning only one knife then my advice would be to sell the ones you've pictured above in the BCUK classifieds, see how much you get and find someone who will make a tool suited to the tasks you think are the most important to you.

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
I saw half a dozen A. Wood knives for sale at a game fair i went to last year and the most expensive one was £200. I was tempted to buy a couple keep one and sell the other, unfortunately the sellers didn't take plastic and the mobile card machines were all empty, but it may be a way of you getting one.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
It is a very nice knife, but its just a knife, you won't carve any better or dress game any better.

There are lots of other folks making quality knives out there, if you have your heart set on owning only one knife then my advice would be to sell the ones you've pictured above in the BCUK classifieds, see how much you get and find someone who will make a tool suited to the tasks you think are the most important to you.

Could not agree more. Better to get a knife suited for your needs and wants than splash out for another which may not be all its cracked up to be. I know someone with a Alan Wood Woodlore knife, and well, I prefer my current knife to it, as it fits me better.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
personally if I were going for the 1 knife apprach I'd keep the A wright and son knife with the antler handles and sell the rest

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
You have some very nice knives there, if you ask me you don't really have a need for most of them, I don't understand why you buy more and more very similar knives.

I have four knives, all different for different uses and the one I use most is a small Frosts Mora Sloyd 120 bk carving knife which cost less than £20.

Why would anyone pay silly money for a knife, bragging rights ?

Not saying the knife in question is not a good one but personally don't think it is worth the price people seem to be willing to pay for it.

greatbear

Apr 8, 2013
rotherham
I totally agree and more to y point if it ant got a proper finger guard then its uses are limited. in the words of mary quant "don't follow fashions, set them"
look at the knife makers on here for example ive seen some so exquisite id be scared of scratching it. yet ive got a boker bushcraft kniofe which has had some right hammer and still shaves hairs. for under £50!!
I once went into a timber yard with a friend of mine who was after buying a piece of yew to make a bow. he asked the owner a price for a particular piece and the guy said it was £200 cos it was a special piece for a snooker cue. my mate asked "did the tree know that?" my point is is a £200 piece of wood better at striking the cue ball than one costing only a tenner which is just as straight?
basically I believe that once a well known name goes on something its a licence to print money.
im not pulling anyones craftsmanship down at all but there should be a limit to the price of what is essentially a working tool a simple hand tool

You have some very nice knives there, if you ask me you don't really have a need for most of them, I don't understand why you buy more and more very similar knives.

I have four knives, all different for different uses and the one I use most is a small Frosts Mora Sloyd 120 bk carving knife which cost less than £20.

Why would anyone pay silly money for a knife, bragging rights ?

Not saying the knife in question is not a good one but personally don't think it is worth the price people seem to be willing to pay for it.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
Just to make you all aware guys iv sold most of these knives now, and got an swc knife the collecting was getting silly, im still after a A wood woodlore someday as an item to own, but most of the one's in the pic are gone now

Nov 26, 2011
co mayo ireland
Just checked with woodlore their i am no 306 for the alan wood knife so about another 6 years waiting. SWC dose a good knife have the ray mears one ya it was a bit pricy but nothing would do me until i got one

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE