Luxe Sil-Hexpeak- First pitch (Successfully!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
So; firstly the 4 rings you refer to and NOT for the inner to link to (like the MP), they are for the 2 (provided) webbing straps to slip into and allow those 4 points to be pegged quickly first, very much like the Mega Horn. This gives you a stable rectangle before pegging out the other 2 points.

As you rightly say it isn't a regular Hexagonal shape, therefore this need to be kept in mind.

Once the 4 points are pegged in the pole height will give the outer skin a better shape and then the last 2 peg points (the 2 half way along 2 of the side panels) can be pegged out.

The inner then clips into the hook hanging for the centre 'cone', then the left and right front inner pegging cords (the slack) are 'looped' over the two pegs mentioned above. Please note the end 'loop' which is tied at the end of the adjuster cord is for 'pulling' the inner taught, not for hooking over the peg.

The next 3 similar inner cords and adjusters are then 'looped' over the 3 remaining pegs at the back of the HP.

Then pull each of the 5 'looped' ends of the cords and the 'upstands' of the inner will erect into place and the inner with be taught.

I can't see how you had these slip? I've tried mine again before writing this, and they are rock solid just like a LineLok.

Yes the webbing straps need to be unclipped from one side when raising or lowering the HP, but they are there to make the exercise you did, much easier.

From what I've read above that should iron out the wrinkles for next time.

Cheers

Bob

Hi Bob, I wasn't uncertain of how to pitch the HP, the omission of the webbing was intentional as I intended to try different height pitches. In fact I pitched it exactly as you described less using the webbing straps. My initial thoughts were that I could use the webbing attachment rings for the inner, but I haven't investigated it at all due to the wind stopping play. Interesting that your say you can peg to the original pegging points, that's going to cut down on the pegs and weight. I'll give it a bash in better weather, probably next month at this rate!

6 of the line locs were reverse threaded, 2 were correct and that would explain why it didn't blow away whilst I was tightening the pegging points with the incorrectly threaded ones. Looking back, it makes me giggle- I went around tightening them one and a half times before I cottoned on they weren't holding! :lmao:

I'm not convinced the webbing is needed at all- a rectangle is easy to peg out, but Luxe obviously cater for all skill levels. As you can see I managed to pitch it nice and taut, just it needed storm guys attaching as the fly was gusting in about 6-8". I still believe that it would benefit from intermediate pegging points on the longer sides.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Is that the Lawson's stuff? Interesting... that's what has been slipping on mine. Only in very high winds, mind you, but I'm trying a 3mm line now. Hopefully the guys supplied with the Hexpeak are an appropriate type :)

A nice and very clear review of the tent. It's always helpful to see something tried out in the sort of conditions it will certainly face at one time or another, rather than "unboxing" types or a quick pitch in the garden.

I've just searched my PMs on HF, it's actually called GloCord, it's 2.75mm not 2.5 so I guess that's why it's worked. Made by Sterling in Maine

Podcast Bob

Excellent, well between us, people should have a clearer idea how it all goes together. :lmao:

As you rightly say, 'once the weather clears' and Noah has left the building I WILL do a video.

If I had a penny for every one who has reminded me that I need to do it, I would have a fiver !! :)

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
So the minipeak is far better then, in simplicity, satability, and usable space then.

I dunno if the silnylon is the stuff that expands when wet, but that will take the tention off your tensioners and the wind will work them loose.

Being as your here bob,

Internal guys made from webbing pegging to the peg point would solve the pegging dilemma. And maybe a vango force one 'V' type pole set up with a flat top to increace the headroom, and get rid of that pesky pole to increase versatility and nest width, should only weigh 200 - 250g. Also a porch canopy or somethink like an igloo enterance seems to be a popular choice.

Maybe an octopeak also, 2.5m across

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
So the minipeak is far better then, in simplicity, satability, and usable space then.

I dunno if the silnylon is the stuff that expands when wet, but that will take the tention off your tensioners and the wind will work them loose.

Being as your here bob,

Internal guys made from webbing pegging to the peg point would solve the pegging dilemma. And maybe a vango force one 'V' type pole set up with a flat top to increace the headroom, and get rid of that pesky pole to increase versatility and nest width, should only weigh 200 - 250g. Also a porch canopy or somethink like an igloo enterance seems to be a popular choice.

Maybe an octopeak also, 2.5m across

So a different tent then really?

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
So a different tent then really?

well different, as the hex is from the mini. Worth a shot, they are all the different points people have made about them. One thing that puts me off the pyramid types is the pole limiting the nest size design,and taking up the most usable space.

How did you yet on with the foot room in the hex as it is only 60cm ?!?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The Hex 3 I have with the nest in place is very comfortable for two and sheer luxury for me and light enough for solo use. You can use the included (extendible) pole or hiking sticks and extender with the Hex but having tried both I'd stick to the pole. I'm 5'11" and my lad is 6'2" and had no problems with the Hex 3.

I've no experience with the OP's tent but would like to try one out if my knees were up to it, they look like a neat and tidy tent.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
You can see the cat curves in the sil on my Trailstar after cranking on the LLs, it was really blowy that day so it was nailed to the ground, no slip at all and you can even adjust them from inside your shelter

Man I so keep stopping myself putting the TS on my mental list, Not sure how I have coped tbh. Looks awesome from what I have seen :)

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
I still covert the TS, but also I hate the midge!

I can't really compare the Mini Peak to the Hex Peak just yet as I'm and experienced and confident users of the MP but a newbie with the HP. Whilst the floor area may be similar, the MP appears to win there as it is almost square and most of it is usable. The HP appears to have SLIGHTLY less floor space but has a much better inner tent. The HP seems to have more features through evolution but why if you are designing a new hex tent wouldn't you make it symmetrical? I find that a bit bizarre. The cost of material and production would not be a great deal more. They could do with developing their products for the European market instead of the Chinese one as looking at Luxe reviews it would appears most users are of European descent and therefore a little taller and wider than the average Chinese build.

IMO Luxe are starting to up their game in terms of quality and demand for better specs has been incorporated, but they are now getting pricey. For those lucky enough to source this outside of the EU, then it will be a much cheaper purchase as the UK distributor has negotiated sole distribution in the UK on condition that Luxe do not sell directly to the UK any more. But, consider that there are other well known and well performing tents that are much cheaper they do perhaps need to show even more value for money.

I think the HP has great potential.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
I think time will tell with the HP. Don't forget this thread has only been going a few days and we've not seen any Youtube reviews or even Bob's review on his own website yet, so it's too early to start forming rock solid opinions. I would love to see a review of the HP in comparison to the MP. Pros and Cons.

Jurassic

Dec 18, 2010
Helensburgh, Scotland
I was planning to buy a Sil Minipeak when they came back in stock but I did have some reservations about them. The full mesh inner was one (I already have another tent with a mesh inner and it's pretty draughty in colder conditions and winter), the Hexpeak addresses that problem straight off. The basic pyramid shape was another, the Hex shape should present a reduced profile to the wind if it's pitched with the right orientation. Finally the ability to pitch using a single hiking pole was missing in the Minipeak but is present in the Hex. Taking that into account the Hex looked like a real step forward for me personally over the MP. Regarding the cost, I'd still say the Hexpeak is great value. The construction looks good and the finish on mine seems to be at least a match for most of my other tents. I still feel very positive about the Hexpeak and am looking forward to testing it over the next few weeks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I was planning to buy a Sil Minipeak when they came back in stock but I did have some reservations about them. The full mesh inner was one (I already have another tent with a mesh inner and it's pretty draughty in colder conditions and winter), the Hexpeak addresses that problem straight off. The basic pyramid shape was another, the Hex shape should present a reduced profile to the wind if it's pitched with the right orientation. Finally the ability to pitch using a single hiking pole was missing in the Minipeak but is present in the Hex. Taking that into account the Hex looked like a real step forward for me personally over the MP. Regarding the cost, I'd still say the Hexpeak is great value. The construction looks good and the finish on mine seems to be at least a match for most of my other tents. I still feel very positive about the Hexpeak and am looking forward to testing it over the next few weeks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Ability to use a single hiking pole missing in the minipeak?? :confused: Sorry but that is just wrong, I'm not sure what minipeak tent you have been looking at but it certainly isn't the Luxe minipeak/silminipeak lol.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
I think time will tell with the HP. Don't forget this thread has only been going a few days and we've not seen any Youtube reviews or even Bob's review on his own website yet, so it's too early to start forming rock solid opinions. I would love to see a review of the HP in comparison to the MP. Pros and Cons.

Agreed to a point. A company retailing a product will always strongly rate the strengths of the product and downplay or ignore the weaknesses. It would be commercial suicide to do otherwise. Bob's video reviews whilst informative and useful cannot and should not be considered the pinnacle of a products appraisal.

Jurassic

Dec 18, 2010
Helensburgh, Scotland
Ability to use a single hiking pole missing in the minipeak?? :confused: Sorry but that is just wrong, I'm not sure what minipeak tent you have been looking at but it certainly isn't the Luxe minipeak/silminipeak lol.
I thought with the Minpeak you had to join two hiking poles to get the necessary 145cm pole length (or extend one pole with an extra long section)? Maybe I picked that up wrong though. :confused:

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
I thought with the Minpeak you had to join two hiking poles to get the necessary 145cm pole length (or extend one pole with an extra long section)? Maybe I picked that up wrong though. :confused:

From memory it's a 140cm pole. I do use an extender with mine- a 7" chunk of dry pine that the pole sits in. It weighs 60g.

Jurassic

Dec 18, 2010
Helensburgh, Scotland
From memory it's a 140cm pole. I do use an extender with mine- a 7" chunk of dry pine that the pole sits in. It weighs 60g.
Yeah, that's what I was getting at. No big deal anyway, I'm sure the MP is a fantastic tent (from all the positive things I've heard about them). As I said I was intending buying one myself, just hope the Hex turns out to be good as well! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE