Buffalo double pile lake test

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/2012/11/speaks-for-itself/

Just thought I would post this link for a test some people did wearing buffalo clothing. I know a lot on here rate the various special 6 / mountain shirt that Buffalo do but the real reason is because the test was actually originally carried out by John Fenna. A regular poster on here. It was to recreate the event told by the buffalo wearer who survived after falling into a pool in Norway I think.

Anyway I would like to know if John reads this is how cold was that water?? Did it really work? The running around for a few minutes to warm and dry off????

just curious

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I took a dip in Lake Vyrnwy this Christmas (yes I know the notices say no swimming but who was there to stop me?) the water was a balmy 6 degrees though and the air temperature about the same so I didn't feel particularly cold. If you are not in for too long, and you are active then no harm comes of it. It has to be said that is better not to have your clothes on and have something dry to put on afterwards. I have a buffalo special 6 and they do stand getting wet, but I am not so sure whether taking a plunge while wearing one is such a good idea and not something I would do intentionally.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The "lake" I was in was actually the river Tivy just above Cardigan - and it was b******y freezing!
This was just a little time after I had spent time tethered on a rope in the rapids about 1/2 a mile above ... staying there until I could not feel my extremities.
Both times a bit of running about and a hot drink and a mars bar and I was warm and cozy again if still a bit damp around the edges.
The photos were taken from canoes and for many years my winter canoeing kit was 100% Buffalo and it served me well for running up to grade 3 rapids as I learned my skills ... and that involved a fair bit of getting wet...
I still rate Buffalo gear!

Last edited:

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
I remember John's review and test well. One of the things that convinced me to go for Buffalo gear. It was really popular with paddlers due to its warm qualities; I wouldn't have liked to ditch and swim wearing it though.

Claudiasboris

slingback

Jan 10, 2013
Highlands
I use a buffalo 4s sleeping bag as I can't keep down dry unless up a hill, and special six shirt, brilliant stuff, tough and works.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Buffalo smocks were omnce very common as after paddle wear when I used to go whitrewater kayaking. Usually worn by the most experienced paddlers. Not so much no I think.

Mind you in our group there was a lot of MArdale wearers (buffalo clones). cheaper version IIRC. The qualities of warm even in wet were good for sitting around waiting fro the after paddle car shuttle. A little running around and you warmed up. Considering I used to come out with near hypothermia I should have really got one.

Now I'm looking for a lighter weight version as the current double pile are too warm for me when out walking. I need a vapour rise weight version but I love the soide zip design of buffalo. Any suyggestioons for a cooler version of mountainshirt of special 6????

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Tecmax are the heavyweight shirts, Active Lite is the thinner range of clothing.

bailout

Jul 17, 2008
devon
I apologise in advance for extreme pedantry but Buffalo weren't double pile. They were double P for Pile/Pertex. Double pile was material used by Helly Hansen that had pile on both sides.

sorry

fast but dim

Nomad
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
@ John Fenna; were you the guy fom the original buffalo ad? If so you're an absolulte outdoor ledgend!!! I've still got the buffalo shirt and superbag i bought on the strength of that ad in 1992!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE