Finnish Navigation Aid

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
750 000 aerial photographs along with other items were uncovered from a barn about the be burned at Central Finland at Tikkakoski municipality in 2007. They were storaged after the Second World War and forgotten after much of the wartime personnel was released from the service. Among the finds were 10 000 navigation aids manufactured by Finnish Uittokalusto Oy. These are rather interesting pieces; they can be used to measure various distances (e.g. 250 and 500 meters) from several scales (e.g. 1:21 000, 1:50 000, 1:100 000 etc.) and have an etched angular mil scale to estimate the steepness of hills. They will fetch only around an euro at Finnish Defence Forces shops.
Uittokalusto_Aid.jpg

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Now that is really simple. So much more durable and field-usable than the opisometer type. Now I just need to find one in 1:25000 and 1:50000.

Z

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
Now I just need to find one in 1:25000 and 1:50000.
Would it not be easier just to purchase this one and divide all the readings from 1:100 000 by two or alternatively multiple the readings from 1:25 000 by two? ;) Actually what I have understood that there are several of models (I, II and III) that are sold as the same. The III has scales for 1:20 000, 1:25 000, 1:50 000 and 1:100 000.

Last edited:

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
Do you have any links to places that will sell across Europe?
Here's one for the Model III. What I have understood, they will ship items inside Europe. However send an email first to their address "info (email-sign) supernova.fi". As I said, they cost around 1€ at the official FDF shops but they do not sell their items online. I am going to one in a month, so if there's any interest, I can try to set up a group buy for them.

Last edited:

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I was just thinking it was a brilliant idea, but needs to fit the maps in use. 1:25000 and 1:100000 would be second best. I'm sure before long, one could be knocked up from some durable plastic material in scales to fit the Ordnance Survey maps and be in Aldi before the Summer!

Z

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
I was just thinking it was a brilliant idea, but needs to fit the maps in use.
Since the patent is no longer enforced, it should not be a large task to scan the diagram to a computer and fit the scales to one's liking. The only task left is to order a few of them from any etching shop. Shouldn't cost more than a few euro per piece in a long run.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Here's one for the Model III. What I have understood, they will ship items inside Europe. However send an email first to their address "info (email-sign) supernova.fi". As I said, they cost around 1€ at the official FDF shops but they do not sell their items online. I am going to one in a month, so if there's any interest, I can try to set up a group buy for them.

Thanks Martti,
I had been searching for a while without finding any leads.

Ogri the trog

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
I have seen opsiometers but can't work out how these Finnish measurers work.
The steepness of a hill can be measured by looking into the distance of two contour lines. The tool offers two settings, one when the contour is printed every five meter and the other for ten meter contours. If, for example, the distance of two countour lines on the map is exactly the same as the length of corresponding line on the tool at 1°, the hill angle is thus 1°.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE