Yukon Firebox & Custom SS Chimney

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It does look good but also somewhat heavy. I've been thinking abut one of them, as a replacement for the Tentipi one. My big problem with the design is the "square" footprint (I like the long-narrow shape of the tentipi design, since that works well when one has 2-3 pots one want to keep going).

i suggest you get a butterfl valve fitted (damper valve) to the lower chimney adaptor so you can slow it down a bit and have some control

or space the flange up a bit and use a sliding plate

if some one does use a Kelly kettle i hope they notice if it runs dry :eek: :lmao:

ATB

Duncan

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I have a yukon - albeit without the top-plate and chimney. I have a few reservations about it and has - for quite a while - been relegated to the 'reserve' shelf.

The set-up warps more than I expected. So much so that I have problems putting the 'grill' rods on top. I have had to hammer the set-up flat on a couple of occasions. It warps enought to present a problem dissembling and reassembling.

The grill rods rotate in their grooves and can - in normal use with a pan or kettle on them - fall into the fire.

It is heavy for its size - the cooking area 'one-pan-at-time'.

I would not put a long chimney on it for tentipi use - the footprint of the stove is small and a long chimney could make it unstable - although I realise that once 'attached' to the tipi throught the chimney hole it would not fall over. In addition to this the stove has no front to it and I feel would benefit from it if there was a change in direction and backdraft....

Having said all that. It works, its robust..and does not rust unlike those aweful tentipi fireboxes (also which I have and now don't use either) and if converted into something with a chimney / stove is 100times cheaper than some other kata/tipi stoves....

Just my thoughts...

LBL

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It is heavy for its size - the cooking area 'one-pan-at-time'.

I've lookad at them, and thought about making a copy, in the same size as the tentipi firebox (20x30 cm). The 2.5 kg for the HD version is right out for me.

Having said all that. It works, its robust..and does not rust unlike those aweful tentipi fireboxes (also which I have and now don't use either) and if converted into something with a chimney / stove is 100times cheaper than some other kata/tipi stoves....

What -- part from the rusting -- don't you like about the tentipi design? I've used mine extensively, and as I see it:

Pro:
* space for 2-3 pots,
* packs easilly in a side-pocket if one want that
* the side legs allows it to "float" on snow (if you use two sticks)
* very fuel efficient and fast (but then all fireboxes are)

Con:
* fiddly, in particular in winter, not sure if it is more fiddly than other collapsible designs
* rusts
* some warping (which is not unheard of in other designs...)

I think my ideal box would be the yukon, with the tentipi footprint and some sort of stable cross-piece -- similar to the tentipi design, but perhaps implemented as two sideways channels -- in stainless (if I win the lottery: Ti), weighting in at less than 1.5 kg.

Bob_about

May 9, 2008
Warwickshire
Yep - it is heavy, but then I never really intended to use it for backpacking - the honey stove looks good for that.

True, its a one pan at a time size, but that also suits me for now - it all packs down into the size of an A4 note pad which is compact but has space to put enough fuel into to get a good amount of heat.

Ref the warping / distortion - yes it has bent a bit. But that was to be expected. Swopping the side panels and turning the back panel between fires seems to be a sensible idea and so far has meant no probs getting it back together and standing square. Interestingly the top plate has not warped at all, despite getting it up to glowing temperatures.

Ref control - damper valve may be an idea, but adds complexity and weight. A bit more sense on when and how much wood to add on my part would probably help alot! Being a new toy I enjoyed firing it up and getting the fire to roar and shoot out the top - I concede the point that this was not entirely necessary!

I will have a look via google to try and find some stainless mesh to see if a spark guard cone could be useful for use near tarps, and may also slow the air flow a little.

I guess its all down to personal preference and horses for courses - thought I`d share with some pictures my experience - personally I like the stainless steel cos it stays shiny! I`m looking forward to keeping it with me this summer and having a fire in a variety of places!

All the best

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I think my ideal box would be the yukon, with the tentipi footprint and some sort of stable cross-piece -- similar to the tentipi design, but perhaps implemented as two sideways channels -- in stainless (if I win the lottery: Ti), weighting in at less than 1.5 kg.

Now you are talking. But maybe the addition of some clever cutting, grooving that reduced warping if in SS (then Ti might not do that as much).....then it would be much more my cuppa :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE