Yew handle for Mora.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
My piece of Yew arrived arrived this afternoon, kindly gifted by bobnewboy, thanks Bob. So i thought I'd better make a start.

mora%20handle%20002.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

mora%20handle%20001.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

mora%20handle%20005.jpg
[/URL]

I marked out the shape slightly over large, then cut it out on the bandsaw. A few rubs with a plane to even it up,and there you are.
I need to decide whether to cut the handle in half, then fit the blade, or drill out a mortice/socket, then push the blade home. My feeling is for the first option, but I would appreciate your thoughts.
I'll post more pics as I progress.
Colin,

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
That's a nice piece of Yew - the grain is going to look great when you've finished. If you've got a bandsaw then cutting in half is probably easiest. Though if you've got a pillar drill, drilling a couple of holes and joining them with a fine file to form a mortise is an option. Wouldn't consider it without a pillar drill though.
let us know how you get on and shows us the finished article - think it's going to be great.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Drill it as Herbalist suggested but instead of filing get a similar sized piece of metal as the tang, heat it up red hot and burn the socket out

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
That would work well if you have a suitable bit of metal around the place or if you don't, a bit of metal rod used the same way to burn out between holes.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
That looks like a great start. I'm no expert on hidden tangs, but you're better off keeping it all one piece if you can.
A good way to enlarge the hole after driling is to grind an old pad saw until it is very narrow and can fit. I think Brisa sell a tool similar to this now too.

P.S. a bit of antler would make a great bolster.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
If I may say something I think you weakened the tang a little bit too much, the hole seems to be excessive large?

Antler as a bolster is a good idea. Bovine bone can also be used.
In my knive making days I sometimes made a bolster of cast Tin. I made a simple form where the bolster should be, and cast the tin straight on the tang. Filed to shape.
Brass or Bronze works well too, you just make a hole that fits well for the tang, and hold it in place with the glue that holds the wooden handle in place.

That Yew has a wonderful grain!

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
That's a nice piece of Yew - the grain is going to look great when you've finished. If you've got a bandsaw then cutting in half is probably easiest. Though if you've got a pillar drill, drilling a couple of holes and joining them with a fine file to form a mortise is an option. Wouldn't consider it without a pillar drill though.
let us know how you get on and shows us the finished article - think it's going to be great.

Hi Herbalist, Yes it's got a lovely grain. Thanks for the kind words and advice.

That looks like a great start. I'm no expert on hidden tangs, but you're better off keeping it all one piece if you can.
A good way to enlarge the hole after driling is to grind an old pad saw until it is very narrow and can fit. I think Brisa sell a tool similar to this now too.

P.S. a bit of antler would make a great bolster.

Hi Hibrion, thanks for the input.

If I may say something I think you weakened the tang a little bit too much, the hole seems to be excessive large?

Antler as a bolster is a good idea. Bovine bone can also be used.
In my knive making days I sometimes made a bolster of cast Tin. I made a simple form where the bolster should be, and cast the tin straight on the tang. Filed to shape.
Brass or Bronze works well too, you just make a hole that fits well for the tang, and hold it in place with the glue that holds the wooden handle in place.

That Yew has a wonderful grain!

Hi Janne. I hope I haven't weakened the tang to much, the mosaic pin fits perfectly in the hole. I agree, the Yew has a fantastic grain.

For me doing this project, is more for the learning experience. As with the sheath and the pioneer pouch, making mistakes along the way, helps me to learn. For this one I think I'll go with option one, as it seems the best way for me to get some accuracy with the pin. I have two other Moras that I plan to rehandle, will definitely be trying the drilled handle and bolster methods. Again thanks for all your input, it's much appreciated.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've re-handled a good few Hults and Moras using method 1 for the handle fixing and drilled the same sized hole in the same position you show; they're all still in the toolkits they were made for and have put up really well with seriously heavy use without issue. I reckon if you battered them enough to break the tang you'd have more to worry about in other ways. The seams on mine are almost invisible, too.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Some more wok done this morning.

Cut the handle and marked the tang position.
yew%20mora%20handle%20001.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
yew%20mora%20handle%20002.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Then cut the slots and drilled the pin hole.
yew%20mora%20handle%20003.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
yew%20mora%20handle%20004.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Dry fit to check.
yew%20mora%20handle%20005.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Then epoxy all together. Will need to wait for 14 hours before I can do any more.
yew%20mora%20handle%20006.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
yew%20mora%20handle%20007.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Looking good so far Colin :)

The problem is that when you have this one all finished up, you will be thinking "hmmm, what if I had just done X, I wonder how that would come out?" And then hey presto, you have about a half dozen of them to use :D .

After a while you find you have a collection of other materials too. I like buffalo horn, charolais cow horn, nickel silver plate, camel bone plates, antler rolls and crowns, pieces of exotic hardwoods, masur birch (mmmmmmm :) ), er, and so on and so forth. I think i have gone off brass, as it tarnishes too easily....

If anyone wants a bit of yew of this size, i have the 3 other pieces that I cut for Colin's consideration. See my second flickr link for pics. They dont have such wild grain - because i like to make bows - but still fully seasoned and gratis to UK-based BCUKers. But pay it forward eh?

Cheers, Bob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE