Yew fruit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
I wondered if anyone eats, or cooks with the red fruit? They look so tempting, but I'm too cautious to try them. I know the stones are deadly, leaves etc, but the fruit looks marvelous this year. There seems to be a glut of them this year too.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Eat the fruits by all means, but try not to scratch the seeds with your teeth, the seed outer is ok, its the inner that harms you. Though, you could likely swallow them as seeds are designed to pass through a digestive system and come out intact.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Yup as the other say the yew arils are safe to eat, just avoid the seed inside, just use your tongue to squish the pulp off. It's one of the few things I'm cautious about telling kids about in case of mistakes. Never cooked with them, I just enjoy the sweet little treat in situ.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Oh, cool. I'm seeing the same trees, with lots of fruit, far more than usual, must be the weather. What about using them in jam? Got to be good for jam?
teva2yha.jpg

y2ydy5yj.jpg

Trees are plastered with them.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Jam sounds nice, but you'd have to have a way of separating the arils from the internal seed without damaging it. The odd one may not be a problem (don't hold me to that) but doing enough for jam could lead to mistakes and compound problems. Would be very labour intensive.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Jam sounds nice, but you'd have to have a way of separating the arils from the internal seed without damaging it. The odd one may not be a problem (don't hold me to that) but doing enough for jam could lead to mistakes and compound problems. Would be very labour intensive.

A centrifuge may do it - I wouldn't risk it though.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
It's worth noting that although fatal toxicity seems to be about 50-100mcg/kg in humans that it's so rare as to not be set in stone, and they recon one chewed seed could be fatal to a child. Also there isn't an antidote.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Great article that, love the no nonsense safety advice, interesting too. On another note, did anyone see the recent article in the news about the ancient yew in a Welsh churchyard? Might even be the oldest tree in the world ! Predates anything the Christian brainwashing of the British Isles.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/co...cred-regenerative-death-defying-yew-tree.html

Nice wee article, certainly up in the running with the Bristlecone Pines if that's the case and it mentioned my old boss The Duke Of Buccleuch. To my shame that trees not to far away and I've never visited it. Still working my way round the sones and other sites round here.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Tried some a while ago, sweet but nothing else flavour wise.
Spat the seeds out after squeezing the flesh against the roof of my mouth with my tongue.

Not blown away by them, sort of like eating jelly sugar with no flavour.

Fair risk for insipid taste.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Okay chaps. You've persuaded me that the taste does not warrant the risk. So I'll just admire them, and leave em to the blackbirds.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I eat yew "goo" off the tree but i have never attempted anything more with them. Fergus drennen did a cheese cake with them. I have never found them worth the effort. They come out when we spoiled for good fruit and I am too much of a fungiphile to eat something for the bravado.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Okay chaps. You've persuaded me that the taste does not warrant the risk. So I'll just admire them, and leave em to the blackbirds.
Oh I don't know, wouldn't wright them off, a useful sugar hit if pushed and a nice addition to a snack. You could even mix a couple through a "pocket salad" - where you collect leaves and edibles in a pouch/pocket as you wander for eating at snack time. Just be careful. Remember over 20 odd years ago being out at this time of year on a training weekend with just a pocket knife and a lighter and being desperately short of edibles. Eventually came across a patch of brambles and got quite giddy with the sugar rush they gave. Sitting giggling in a damp thorny wet bramble patch sticks in the head, and a sugar hit can be quite important.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Well, that dictates what I'm doing today. I'm off to see the Defynnog yew. It will make a nice day out.

Nice, please post some nice photos.

Weathers absolutely great today, at work, patrolling, and found my first pendulous sedge. Chuffed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE