Yet Another New Boy!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
Hi folks, well I've already posted once or twice but there's a thingy on my 'Profile" page saying I can't access it yet and advising me to introduce myself so here I am!
I've always kinda liked camping, wildlife, walking and so on, but mostly over the last few years I've approached the great outdoors from the angle of running so it's all been about lightweight kit, tents, tiny gas stoves and so on.
I still like my off road running but a hamstring injury has forced me to slow the pace and so I'm stepping right back and getting the tarp, the honey stove, the dog, the drab coloured clothes, and taking it easy in 'the bush' as it were. Now it's going to be about getting away from it all, seeing what's about if I just stay still and inconspicuous for a while. It's a new mental approach, and I'm looking forward to it.
I don't have much in the way of bushcrafty skills, (can't see myself skinning a squirrel for breakfast any time soon), but I do find the topic pretty interesting...

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
What a friendly bunch! I am definitely going to try and pick up some basic skills, and I like the idea of being able to track animals, find edible plants and so on. I am going to try and keep the pack weight down (maybe get the dog a rucksack!) by using dead wood for fuel, a tarp instead of a tent, not carry much in the way of clothing and so on. I suppose food will be the heaviest stuff to carry, unless I don't camp near water in which case I'll have to carry a bit of that for the overnight stop.
It'll be a learning curve. Any advice on bivvying out with a dog? I've got him a jacket for overnight, he'll probably sleep with my coat under him, but I don't want him being cold or buggering off - any tips?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Hello Mick, welcome to the forum! on the dog front I cut a one meter square from a basha id knackered, his\her(depending on which one goes:)) own tarp, and a place to get settled, I peg down three corners and either use a stick or tie the other corner up to a tree for a kennel effect,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE