Yet another Hello from the deepest Forest of Dean

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hello everyone,
Just a few words to introduce myself. I live not far from the River Severn in the Forest of Dean in SW England. I am interested in all aspects of natural history, particularly in birds and within that category, ducks, geese and swans and a close second, birds of prey. However, insects and mammals are keen interests also.
Thus, with this interest which has been with me for over 17 years, I get out and about in the countryside near where I live which is dominated by forest habitat almost every day. I am looking to increase my knowledge of bushcraft and use it to enhance my interest in natural history.
I am looking forward to contributing at these forums and I see from the very active nature of them that there will be plenty to read, learn and discuss. Regards.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Dont' go Colin:(

I dont know how I or any one else for that matter missed saying hello
we are a friendly bunch really.

but for what it's now worth

Hello and Welcome :D

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Well, I'll say hello too. Don't really feel qualified for "greeting" yet as I'm not long here myself!

Saw you were in the FoD though - I've spent quite a bit of time there - nice and easy to get to from Cardiff. We've camped quite a lot at Bracelands and spent loads of time round Nags Head and Cannop Ponds - they places you visit?

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Yep, sorry Colin - you're very welcome - just didn't see you first post.

Wildfowl are fascinating. I'm lucky enough to live near the Eden and Tay estuaries and get to see a lot of wild geese. And they'll soon be here.

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
Hello and welcome!! Forest of Dean? You lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky B*****d :D (Monty Python style) I love that place - some of my fondest memories of canoeing and Symonds Yat etc...

So, don't go - just dive on in! :)

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Hi,

Love the Forest of Dean. Parents in law used to have a place in Berry Hill. Thinking about your interest - is there still a wetlands centre on the Severn?

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Welcome aboard Colin. I hope you enjoy the forums.... and sorry to have missed your fist post :( not sure why that happened)

:D
Ed

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Hi Colin - I just got back from canoeing on the Wye in the FoD, as some one else said you lucky lucky...... Its beautiful over there, I hope you get plenty of time in the woods.
Please make yourself at home, and sorry no one was about to welcome you, I guess we were all down the woods ourselves.

Cheers
Rich :D

Blimy, I'm almost overwhelmed. Perhaps there was a glitch in the system. Many thanks for all the welcome notes.

Scanker,
Yes, Nagshead and Cannop Ponds are both within walking distance of where I live but I have been known to walk quite a long way.

Rich59,
Yes there is still the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust Centre on the River Severn at Slimbridge. That is only 6 miles away but it is on the other side of the river and it is a 70 mile round trip in the vehicle to visit it. If you haven't been there in the last 5 years, it is worth a visit since it has effectively been rebuilt around the millennium and is somewhat different. Best times to visit with the maximum number of wintering birds is Dec and Jan.

To the others who say I am a lucky B......... I suppose I am but there have been times in nearly a quarter of a century where my job involved a building with no windows. Weather could be dramatically different when starting a shift to finishing it. At least the work paid off in some respects with this beautiful countryside around me now.

Thanks again for the welcomes. I will be posting regularly. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE