Yellow Wildflower ID Please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Cant find this one in the books. The leaves wrap around the stem so there are no petioles. The basal leaves are a different shape and alot larger than the stem leaves.

FloraEarlySept012.jpg

See how the stem leaves (entire margins) wrap around the stem
FloraEarlySept014.jpg

FloraEarlySept015.jpg

And the Basal leaves.
FloraEarlySept016.jpg

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Treacle mustard or wallflower? Kind of hard to to tell if it's wall flower from my field guide, there's only a tiny photo but the leaf shape looks good, are those little fruits coming out of the stem in the first photo? And if so are they round in cross section and hairy?

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Treacle mustard or wallflower? Kind of hard to to tell if it's wall flower from my field guide, there's only a tiny photo but the leaf shape looks good, are those little fruits coming out of the stem in the first photo? And if so are they round in cross section and hairy?

I think they are seed pods. I cant remember their cross section, sorry. The main thing that stands out are the stem leaves that wrap around the stem, but the big basal leaves have petiols.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester

I think they are seed pods. I cant remember their cross section, sorry. The main thing that stands out are the stem leaves that wrap around the stem, but the big basal leaves have petiols.

THIS SITE IS FALLING APART, WHY ARE MY POSTS APPEARING TWICE???

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Your right, it's oilseed rape. EDIT - although on closer inspection the leaves and seed don't look right. Hmmmm...I'm confuddled...

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Does rape develop those pods as seen in photo 1 though? The petals look spot on, it's the rest that leaves me wondering.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My first thought was wild turnip........:dunno:

It's not woad, I grow that and by now it's gone over to hanging black seeds.
The leaves look a bit large to me for rape, though the flower's very similar.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE