WW2 German Rifle posted especially for British Red

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've been meaning to relate this story for ages since hearing it last year. Here goes:

I have some friends over here in Normandy who own and run a small holding with pigs and chickens etc. I've even worked on it a few times and love their type of lifestyle. Anyway when Simon was doing the restoration of the loft to the main house he was rooting about in the eaves of the roof over a canopy covering the stairway leading into the attic and found a big bundle of straw, presumably for insulation. While raking out this dry and very old straw what did he find buried under it, but this. See pix below.

It's a World War German 2 Mauser Karabiner 98K bolt action rifle.

It was in a pretty sorry state at the time, but shows no woodworm in the wood and the metal parts cleaned up nicely and now the bolt action runs smoothly and the firing pin works when you pull the trigger. Not sure of the condition of the barrel as the cleaning rod for that is missing. It's pretty much as you see it, even down to the missing shoulder strap.

Simon has no idea how it got there and has probably laid there since the war. I can only speculate what its history was. Did some German soldier retreating from the allies dump it in the woods? Was he shot and the owner of the house found his body and kept the rifle? Could it have been part of some French resistance cache? We'll never know but I thought you Hugh would like to see this.

MauserKarabiner98k01_zps4541d1fc.jpg

MauserKarabiner98k02_zps532da26a.jpg

Last edited:

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Wow, now that's a fascinating story Biker. If the homeowner stashed it away I think I know what the punishment would have been if it were found by the Germans.

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
Check for serial numbers should be fairly easy to check online I know an American company that has these numbers but can't remember the name of company

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
It's just like in war movies. Like defiance. They had rifles just like that there. Thanks for sharing, very cool:)

Biker

Check for serial numbers should be fairly easy to check online I know an American company that has these numbers but can't remember the name of company

There is a serial number on it. I have a close up pic of that too, though according to Simon they could trace the regiment, but not the individual soldier... least that's what he's told me. If you do find that name I'd be interested in knowing it please.

incredible find.... what's he plan to do with it?

No plans to do anything with it other than admire it. He has it tucked away out of sight now.

Nice find, trade you a pink spork for it ? :)

Rev G

Nice offer but I'm pretty sure they have plenty of Fennas pink, olive green or titantium. :lmao: Simon and his boys often go camping, so I'm sure there's a Fenna or two tucked away in their nosh kits already.

About the comment of those guns being illegal, perhaps so, I really don't know.

Thanks for your comments folks. I think I would have fell off the ladder finding something like that in my attic. Really incredible! I get palpitations seeing a rare find at a bootfair, a discovery like that rifle would put me in A&E! :lmao:

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Fantastic story and rifle, even more fun for me as we are off to Normandy for are family hols this June. does it have bnf stamped on the breech? and does it have date markings?

Biker

tell him to stock pile the rounds for it incase the boche kick off again ;-) what part of normandie? British/commonwealth or US end? or the breakout area? man I miss my jeep.....

We're in the Calvados area, just East of Montchamp which was a hot bed of resistance during the war. This is about 40miles directly South of the landing beaches. I sugested he keep it in case of the Zombie Apocalypse.

All parts of this gun have a serial number.
Matching numbers on a Mauser makes it more valuable.

I'll pass that info on to Simon. I've no reason to doubt it's a genuine untouched original.

Fantastic story and rifle, even more fun for me as we are off to Normandy for are family hols this June. does it have bnf stamped on the breech? and does it have date markings?

I've just looked through the pix I have and this is the best of the bunch showing all the marks I could see.

Attachments

• DSC09444.jpg
    DSC09444.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 27

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Nice find - quite a few of these are appearing now and quite cheap to.

Not too expensive I guess, about $299-$400 here. But not as good as just 35 years ago when the surplus stores were only charging $39 for one still in cosmoline with 100 rounds of ammo.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Not too expensive I guess, about $299-$400 here. But not as good as just 35 years ago when the surplus stores were only charging $39 for one still in cosmoline with 100 rounds of ammo.

Yes but couldn't you buy as much for $40 back then as you can now for $400? With inflation and all that:)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
We're in the Calvados area, just East of Montchamp which was a hot bed of resistance during the war. This is about 40miles directly South of the landing beaches. I sugested he keep it in case of the Zombie Apocalypse.

I'll pass that info on to Simon. I've no reason to doubt it's a genuine untouched original......

If it's actual issue (and it appears to be) then the parts could have been swapped around by the military unit (units) that issued it. After all, this is the same rifle the German Army used from 1898 until the end of WWII. It may have been rebuil and reissued several times before being captured/abandoned in WWII.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE