WS Micarta shot up in value

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I like my WS micarta woodlore knife, even though I winced at paying 95 quid for it.

They are now out of production and there's one on ebay for £230 (plus £10 post) with 4 days to go:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ray-Mears-Woo...193286649QQcategoryZ27363QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Interestingly it seems Indian customs didn't like it!

Also is this interesting knife:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BUSHCRAFT-KNI...717091318QQcategoryZ16042QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It is 440A stainless (perhaps not my first choice of steel) and looks like a woodlore but without scandi bevels I think.

And finally this very interesting knife:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BUSHCRAFT-KNI...717568153QQcategoryZ16042QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

with 'granite corian' handles (what that?) and a compass sewn into the sheath. I have seen archery armguards with sewn in miniature compass.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Doc said:
with 'granite corian' handles (what that?) and a compass sewn into the sheath. I have seen archery armguards with sewn in miniature compass.
Corian is a worksurface material, I think it's made by Dupont or some such. It's plastic, the granite will be granite effect. At least that's the Corian I know, seems an odd choice for a knife handle :dunno:

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex

Mr_Yarrow

Forager
May 16, 2005
UK, Hertfordshire
Cant believe this guy is seleeinga blade blank for £45, hes offering to do the HT for free, however you could buy a bevelled and HT'd blade like that ready to handle over on BB for about that cost. Just goes to show what you can get away with when people dont know the market etc.

The piece of steel would cost you less than £10 from Cromwells and a few hours to cut out the profile. Am I just being tight, or does this seem a lot of money for what it is?

Rgds

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
:eek: This is madness. The WS Micarta woodlore on ebay is at £410 with two hours to go - remember this is a mass produced knife that cost £95 delivered only 18 months ago.

What is going on???

Ropeman

Forager
Apr 16, 2005
Aberdeen
Wilkinson Sword closing down plus Raymania equals speculators with FAR more money than sense.

Now's the time to upgrade your mass produced Woodys to a great custom knife, a Hennessy hammock, new sleeping bag and boots.

I wish I'd bought a few now.

G

ghubca

Mr_Yarrow said:
Cant believe this guy is seleeinga blade blank for £45, hes offering to do the HT for free, however you could buy a bevelled and HT'd blade like that ready to handle over on BB for about that cost. Just goes to show what you can get away with when people dont know the market etc.

The piece of steel would cost you less than £10 from Cromwells and a few hours to cut out the profile. Am I just being tight, or does this seem a lot of money for what it is?

Rgds

i dont think its bad value for money, yes its only about £10 worth of materials but its a couple of hours work too...and theres instructions. The idea is to allow a person to create their own knife, and at whatever level they feel comfortable, if you capable you can own a top quality bushcraft knife for £45, thats good.
if your not to confident about the bevel grinding and heat treat you can have that done for you. if you cant do anything you can have the whole knife made for you to your own spec.

G

ghubca

arctic hobo said:
Corian is a worksurface material, I think it's made by Dupont or some such. It's plastic, the granite will be granite effect. At least that's the Corian I know, seems an odd choice for a knife handle :dunno:

Your correct corian is a type of plastic, its a bit like micarta but not linen reinforced...it is used to make worktops in high end kitchens....it is super tough and just about ubreakable, it machines like wood and is joy to work with. It comes in various colours and affects, (wood, ivory, granite, bone, marble) it can be polished to a high gloss....it cant split, shrink or swell and is impervious to water, heat and cold....its perfect as a handle material for a working knife....this knife on ebay has been used and tested to, and beyond the point where a woodlore knife would have long since given up....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE