New WS Micarta Woodlore

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Ordered my Wilkinson Sword Micarta Woodlore knife just after New Year. Arrived today- a month late but Woodlore had kept me posted on the delivery delays.

Seemed to have come direct from Woodlore, not WS - maybe Woodlore are doing their own quality control now? Satisfactorily wrapped in bubble wrap and jiffy bag, with an A4 printout on current UK knife law.

It is very good. Undoubtedly the best knife I have ever owned, though I do not have the knowledge and experience of Martyn and others on this forum.

It has a genuine zero edge- no secondary bevel. Checked it with a x10 loupe - definitely no secondary bevel.

Mirror finish on the steel, except the bevel. No rust.

Balance and 'feel' is excellent. Micarta feels grippy and secure in the hand. Wood to Micarta fit is excellent. I could detect no asymmetry between the scales (see previous threads).

Others have commented that the handle may be small for those with big hands - I agree. A shade on the small side of perfection for me. My hands are size 7.5 (in surgical gloves, anyway).

Only imperfection I can detect is a slight (and I mean barely detectable) machining mark on the back of the blade where the handle ends. Also. I don't agree with the comment on the Woodlore website that it looks like ebony. The woodgrain effect is pleasing though. Slight plastic smell that I think will go in time.

Sheath is good, workmanlike, securely fitting and a pleasing chestnut brown. The belt loop could be thicker, but looks secure enough.

Out of the packet, it cuts paper and wood well. Not quite as sharp as my Brusletto or Frost, but should be minimal effort to make it so.

Throws sparks from a firesteel better than ANYTHING. Quite a revelation.

At 3.6mm, slightly thinner than an Alan Wood model, but much thicker than a Brusletto or Frosts. I can't imagine wanting it any thicker.

Overall- well, in my limited experience, it is functionally the best bushcraft knife available at any price, remembering that many makers charge more for micarta handles than wood. Aesthetically, wood is probably slightly nicer. I shoot a bit, and would never even consider a rifle or shotgun with a synthetic ABS stock, even though they are more weatherproof and more accurate. Micarta is different somehow - it 'looks' natural in its own way.

For an investment, I'd go for the Alan Wood original, but for a working knife, that might still end up an heirloom for your (?grand)children, I think its well worth £95.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Congratulations Doc! Sounds like a superb piece of kit! Good to hear they got rid of the seconary bevel on them ... that sounded like hard work to get rid of!
What's the finish like on the bevel?

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
The bevel itself is still quite shiny, but not mirror finish. 1200grit wet and dry type shiny.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Funny thing is, the WS knives have dissapeared off the Woodlore site ... ??? :yikes:

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Nope. No grind lines.

I'm really pleased. For example, close your eyes and try to feel where the handle rivets are. You can't. the surface of the handle is completely uniform.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Probably just as well you waited and got a good one!

Enjoy!

Doc said:
Nope. No grind lines.

I'm really pleased. For example, close your eyes and try to feel where the handle rivets are. You can't. the surface of the handle is completely uniform.

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
i had a chat with woodlaw this afternoon they took the ws of the site so they could meet the order.s they allready have before they take anymore :-D

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
Adi007 said:
Congratulations Doc! Sounds like a superb piece of kit! Good to hear they got rid of the seconary bevel on them ... that sounded like hard work to get rid of!
What's the finish like on the bevel?

Yep, hard work......nearly finshed mine, been doing it on and off since end of December. One side went down to zero edge sooner than the other.....must be my technique although I kept it all uniform with the same number of strokes on each side.

Glad you like it anyway, it is a lovely knife.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
As soon as my pay arrives, i'll order it, im a bit strapped for cash after a trip to new york!

Im guessing that all the new WS knives are free from all mistakes?
And when do you think that they will come back onto the woodlore site?

Cheers,

Jake

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
The maple handled version is back ... I believe that they are waiting to clear the back orders before offering the micarta version again.

Probably won't be too long ...
Jake Rollnick said:
As soon as my pay arrives, i'll order it, im a bit strapped for cash after a trip to new york!

Im guessing that all the new WS knives are free from all mistakes?
And when do you think that they will come back onto the woodlore site?

Cheers,

Jake

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I just checked to see if the micarta was back, and the maple had gone also.

I hope they return before the 15th!

Cheers,

Jake

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
They seem to come and go ... drop em an email ...

CM Burns

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2003
London
I spoke to Woodlore yesterday - deliveries are still coming in from WS every week but not in the numbers they'd hoped for. However, based on recent feedback the new knives are being finished to a VERY high standard.

I ordered my Micarta model in January and i am still 4th on the waiting list - so Woodlore must have quite a considerable backlog. But it at least means that i will almost certainly get my knife sometime next week!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE