Woolen shirts?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I'd like to pick up a wool 'overshirt' or jacket with winter fast approaching, as I believe coupled with a microfleece and . I like the Bison Bushcraft Guide shirt apart from the smock design, and I really like the Mackinshaw Cruiser, I'd even risk the lumberjack jokes/songs and buy it in red, but it's a bit dear for my pocket at the moment.

Can anyone suggest any other alternatives?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I can't recomend wool enough for our winters, lived in three layers and trousers all through the last, i tend to visit the local charity shops, Forres Elgin and Inverness, found some great wooly clothes and tweeds for not much at all.also swear by swandri, if you can push to it it will last for years, also have you thought about getting a couple of wool blankets and either sewing yourself a or asking someone good with the needles?

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
If you are considering the Bison one, have a look at Thomas Crown Hoodies.

http://www.thomascrownhoodies.com/hoodies.html

I have one - Polartec lined Tweed. I am thinking of getting a drop nylon one if they'll make one, for when this is too hot, but I love it and intend on using it for all stationary activity.

I also, as you know, wear Pendleton, a lot of Merino and have a dockers, but the Dockers is heavier and warmer than the Pendleton.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Well Dougster, the wool shirt I just bought from yourself will be the first wool item I've owned, and I will be able to see how it compares to my twill workshirt as autumn approaches.

I'm really just trying to come up with a set of flexible camping clothes. I'm thinking a windproof and semi-waterproof layer as the third layer in a 3 layer system will handle most weather here, and can be used along with a hat, gloves and a down gilet for the very cold, and a waterproof jacket or poncho for the very wet.

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
If you are going full tilt for it, Musto and others do waterproof lined Tweed jackets, but I like my Fjallraven Greenland with Greenland wax finish. I was out for a few hours in the rain yesterday with it over a long sleeve merino top and it was just fine. As the weather cools it will go over a Pendleton, then a Dockers and when very cold a Pendleton and jumper.

That shirt will get to the Post Office Today.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
I picked up a cracking hoodie at Beautiful days, 100% wool ecuadorian made, its big, cuddly and really warm! and its pretty much my autumn coat now. just trying to source some more tbh, i should have bought two whilst they were on offer :D

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
.......and here they are

Without and with flash:

DSCF1268.jpg

DSCF1267.jpg

If you look closely at the furthest shoulder you will see a pull. As I was lifting it out of the box my brand new puppy (at the time a ten week) old Bavarian Cross sank a tooth in and I lifted him with it. Oh well, it won't be precious when I go stalking in it for the cull this winter.:rolleyes:

adriatikfan

May 23, 2010
North Yorkshire
If you are considering the Bison one, have a look at Thomas Crown Hoodies.

http://www.thomascrownhoodies.com/hoodies.html

I have one - Polartec lined Tweed. I am thinking of getting a drop nylon one if they'll make one, for when this is too hot, but I love it and intend on using it for all stationary activity.

I also, as you know, wear Pendleton, a lot of Merino and have a dockers, but the Dockers is heavier and warmer than the Pendleton.

Those Thomas Crown Hoodies look nice - are they expensive?

Best Wishes
David

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Seems a fair price - but I'm a bit skint...cos I fell in love...with a custom sheepskin jerkin......oh man it was worth it too!

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Those are really nice Rich, but I'm with you on one with a drop liner or just the unlined version would be nice.
Can't help think that the fleece would just make it smelly after a bit of continuous wear.

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
Those are really nice Rich, but I'm with you on one with a drop liner or just the unlined version would be nice.
Can't help think that the fleece would just make it smelly after a bit of continuous wear.

I can see an annual visit to the drycleaners. Or after a while, knowing me, wool cycle on the machine. Got to drop them a line on ones without fleece

[/QUOTE] Thanks. How is the fit of the hoodies. Is the Large really a Large, for example?

David [/QUOTE]

I'm a 42-44 chest with 16.5 collar and 5 ft 9; the large fits over a jumper, not that I ever would mind.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE