Wool shirt - advice needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Snowfire

Forager
Jan 10, 2010
Cotswolds
Partly inspired by the shirts I've seen on here and partly driven by desperation in finding anything remotely small enough to fit me I've decided to have a go at making my own shirt.

I bought a pure wool blanket from a charity shop for the princely sum of £2.49. But should I felt it before I try and make the shirt?

Also I'm planning on dying it as cream isn't the most practical colour for a mud magnet like me. So, if the advice is to felt it, would you dye it and felt it all in one, dye it then felt it, or felt it then dye it?

Thanks for your help

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Give the blanket a normal hot wash to shrink it then hang to dry. This will tighten it up and prevent future shrinkage. Then you can make the shirt and dye at the end. When you dye it use a big pack of the hand dye as opposed to the machine wash. The cream blankets don't take it well so give it as long as possible in the dye. It will work but won't be like what it shows on the box as a final colour, not in my experience anyways 8(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE