Dog Chew / rawhide rambling and request for advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
How did it go?
With the colouring and sheath making?

I have managed to find a nice thick piece of raw hide in the form of a ‘sausage’ for large dogs.
Soaking now, then when soft I will nail it to some plywood and dry it for easier planning and cutting.
Is between 3 and 3.5 mm thick.

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia
It's been slightly postponed - had a lot on and have been doing some experimentation with eyelets and have learned a few lessons which I'd be pleased to share.

Would be interested to see the rawhide you found - Mine is very good for forming and will serve my needs for this project well, but it's only about 1mm thick

I also was pleased to see that others have already come up with the same idea I did for a way to press form the sheath and that it seems to work very well.

This one was created specifically for Kydex, but I think it would work just as well for my sheath. I have most of the bits already....

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My suggestion would be that you use either oak galls or walnut husks.

Rawhide will take up dye with tannin, both of those are tannin rich. Besides, the galls and the husks are available for the picking up off the ground just now :D
Just crush them, add to hot water, bring to the boil and make 'tea'. Leave it overnight to steep and then have a shot with your rawhide.
If you want a warmer colour add some redbush teabags to the brew.

M

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Sparkplug, I am unable to post a picture, but it looks exactly like your un dyed hide, kind of whitish tan, matt surface. I soaked it yesterday so I could undo the ‘sausage’ .
I dried it on a flat piece of plywood, kept it stretched and flat by using s/s thin nails along the edges, 2-3 cm apart. Approx 30 x 35 cm and about 3mm thick.

In the pet shop where I found it they also had raw hide dog treats made from a yellowish, glossy, see through hide, the treat was rolled and made into a knot.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
In the same shop they also had dried bulls ‘organs’, the penis.I think I will try to get one and use to make a handle for a smalker blade. Infuse first with Cactus Juice.

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia
OK, so my eyelet experience goes as follows.

1) Cheap does not mean good. If you are planning on using eyelets on multiple projects, my suspicion is that you will do better buying more expensive tools than I did

2) If you are going down the cheap route, know the size of eyelet you want to use. I bought a 'multi size' set (red handles in pic) for which the hole punch seems perfectly OK - but the 'riveter' or whatever the thing is called which squeezes your eyelet into shape is not. It does a good job on the size of eyelets supplied but I wanted a smaller (3mm) nickel size and you can see the results on the 'oops' bit. Copper eyelet, lovely, standard size. Smaller 3mm Nickel eyelet - crushed into oblivion.

3) If you are only using one size, for one small project, buy a size specific set (the bits without the red handles) While the quality is still not great, the results are fine. If you look at the piece without any colouring, you will see the back and front of the eyelet which is perfectly acceptable. However, even doing just these two eyelets, I bent the pin (easy to straighten) but I don't think this cheap eBay set would last more than 50-100 eyelets.

So - like many things in life, cheap out and you don't get long term use, however if it's just for a handful of projects cheap doesn't mean poor quality results, just not many of them before it breaks.

eyelets.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
For that you'd maybe be better looking for 'brads' for papercraft.
These are smaller sized, relatively sturdy ones, meant to go through cardboard for memory books and the like.
They can also be bought with sets of punches that both cut the right sized holes, and punch the eyelet brad thingie in tidily too. No raw jaggy edges and neat and squarely in place.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eyelet-Pu...d=281801803760&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Buy it for value, buy it for life.
I would go to either one of two stores in the city which sell farrier's supplies, horse tack and all needed parts.
We can buy pop-rivet hand tools for $10.00 or less. I paid $50.00, 25 years ago. Still popping.
I no longer need to buy rivets in boxes of 1,000.

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia
For that you'd maybe be better looking for 'brads' for papercraft.
These are smaller sized, relatively sturdy ones, meant to go through cardboard for memory books and the like.
They can also be bought with sets of punches that both cut the right sized holes, and punch the eyelet brad thingie in tidily too. No raw jaggy edges and neat and squarely in place.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eyelet-Pu...d=281801803760&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Yup- if I knew then what I know now, that would have been a much better purchase for the long term!

You live, you learn, you pass some knowledge on!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE