woodpecker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Didn't quite no where to post this question but I guess it can go here!

I know you cant see him very well but having trouble idetifying.
I have read green woodies are in the area but this had a red belly?
All the pic's I have found don't show the belly or don't mention red colouring.
Thanks dave

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think "flora and fauna" would have been a better spot than "firecraft". I've burned most things - never tried lighting a woodpecker though :D

Really hard to rell from the image - looks more like a Greater Spotted in profile than a green. I have some (ropey) pics somewhere - do you want me to post them so you can see the difference?

Here we go (sorry for the poor quality)

Greater Spotted

435427239_5467495d0b.jpg

Green

435427241_8ad36fada0.jpg

Does that help?

Red

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Thanks again BR got say I must have put it in the wrong section as I have drank woodpecker but not lit one :lmao: must have had a male multi tasking moment!!!
Great pics BR deffo had red waist (for want of a better word) so I think it was the greater spotted as it looks as if the green has not red on it(?)
Must say ,wish I had as good a camera as yours as you post some superb pics mate( and also the skill.... I do have an o' level though! :lmao: )
Out of interest what sort of gear do you use/recommend?
Thanks again Dave

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I use a cheapy compact digital mate (Kodak Z740) - it has got a decent zoom though.

I'd ask Jon Pickett for camera advice or Wayland - their stuff knocks spots off mine!

I take a lot of piccs is all - either stuff that interests me or a lot of the time to help me look things up when I get home :eek:

Glad it helped - I think we all agree on Greater Spotted (Greens have red "caps" speckled fronts and a vivid yellow flash on their back when they take off)

Red

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I have got a Canon Ixus which to be honest is great for stuff close up and posting on forums but is rather lacking in the zoom department. It is really small though so i always take it out and usually get some good pics when in the mountains snowboarding. Might have to look at some zooms which I believe can be added (sort of clip on I think back to ebay I think!)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:rolleyes: Shifted thread to Flora & fauna from firecraft :D ...... woodpeckers stink when burned, allegedly ;)
Sounds like the great spotted one to me too; about as big as a magpie, without that long tail?

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE