Have I identified these correctly?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Just to start with, I have not foraged or eaten any of the below so don't panic! I am just working on my plant identification and would appreciate some opinions.

Plant 1:
I initially believed this to be Ground Elder based on the leaf shape and the stem shape. The only thing that is leaving me uncertain here is that the leaves are in clusters of 9 - 3 from the branch. My understanding on Ground Elder is that it would be 3 on the terminal branch with the two 'sub-branches' having one leaf each, sometimes morphing into two. Every plant was in this 9 leaf configuration, pretty much.

1714241806978.png
1714241822860.png
1714241780398.png

Plant 2:
I believed initially that this is cow parsley. However: The stem/branching stems didn't appear to be in the celery style 'u' shape. Given the potential lookalikes I would not be foraging this anyway, but trying to get my eye in.
1714242070246.png

Plant 3:
I believe this to be Ribwort Plantain due to the distinctive leaves and the 'buds'. The buds smelled fairly strongly of mushroom when I squished them up.
1714242187138.png

What do we think? Am I on the money?

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Plantain is correct.
Compare the second one with pignut.
Mind has gone blank on the first one.
Thanks for the feedback. With the 2nd one, the leaves to me look too 'fern-like' to be pignut, would they not be kinda thinner with the leaf 'petals' more spread out?

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
They do look a bit fern like at a second look.
Probably about 60 umbellifers. I find most of them quite difficult to sort out.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I know what you mean about the leaves but I still believe it's Ground Elder (Aegopodium podagraria) - Blamey shows it with both two and three leaflets in the lower group. Young leaves can be used as a spring vegetable.

Second one, almost certainly Cow Parsley (Anthriscus sylvestris) in flower at this time of year but check against a key to be certain.

Third, yep, as you said.

Reactions: Chris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE