Woodlore leather overmitts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mark j lang

Apr 19, 2009
stroud
I have had these about a year now (over two winters) I do a lot of ornithology work which requires staying still on wet cold hillsides for hours on end and needed something to keep my hands warm, and cheap!

Ive proofed them with Nikwax leather conditioner and so far they have managed to keep all rain out, although they do get damp at the end of the day, being able to remove the inners and outers does help drying time. They are a little cumbersome and the leather strap takes quite a lot of pulling to cinch tight, it might need a bit more greasing. warm over wool mitts they have kept my hands warm, even over warm down to about -10 deg centigrade. Over thin wool gloves improves the dexterity slightly but these mitts dont have the dexterity of gloves or other mitts. I felt like a clown yesterday very clumpsy trying to set map and compass in thick cloud! But you do get better and can remove the mitts quickly to do fiddly tasks with the mimimum of heat loss.

I think that these will last years my only complaint is that they are not available in a colour other than white! But good value and quite green to as they are army surplus, much better than buying new gore tex

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
With you there mate,
Mine have had two trips to the arctic with Ulfrotte Woolpower mits underneath.
I like that 'old school' off white colour !
Cheers.
Chris.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
They are the old style Swedish army overmitts. I have one pair that I have had for a decade and a half, and one brand new unused pair.

I added 10 cm wide "cuffs" of poplin with a drawstring to my users; quite nice when digging shelters.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE