'Woodlore' knife on E-bay

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
The guy on ebay said, about the measurements:

I have measured it again and sorry the blade is 4mm. The total measurement from the tip of the blade to the end of the handle is aprox 220mm the blade is 103 mm and handle 115 mm. I know this only comes to 218 bot i did say 220 aprox. The maker is Alan wood and he makes theses in batches and there are sometimes slight different measurements in different batches as the are all different cause of being hand made.

Still doesn't seem quite right... oh well, I won't be bidding on it anyway...

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Rollnick said:
Daniel, i'd wait mate. There is a great knife that is about to come out very soon. I would predict it a better knife than the woodlore and it is only £145, with a much shorter waiting time.

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8730

:D
Can I just state for the record, that I've played with the prototype with a harsh bunch of critics and each time I fondle (Sorry, hold) it, it feels better. The worst complaint that people could muster was that they were worried it looked too symetrical and they might pick it up and use the wrong edge!! :eek: Yup, it may look symetrical, but as soon as it's in your hand you can instinctively know which way is sharp and which is not. The stock removal on the blade affects the balance of the knife so you instinctively know where the sharp edge is. that feeling would surely grow as you feel more familiar with the knife.

However, this is more than compensated by the fact that the apparent symmetry allows for using the point of the knife as a stronger tool, as force passes directly through the length of the knife to the tip when hitting the butt. Where-as a sweeping blade would divert this force and end up slipping away.

This merely reinforces the fact that this is a working tool, not a drawer queen!! unless you want to buy two. :D

IMHO ;)

Martin

F

FreshMint

Daniel said:
October? Did you here that from woodlore? They did tell me it would be before Christmas, but didn't give me a month... I have £235 sitting in my bank ready to order one when they go on sale again, hopefully soon!

I'll e-mail that guy and see what he saiy about the measurments!

I think I've read this on the Wilkinson page somewhere

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Rollnick said:
Daniel, i'd wait mate. There is a great knife that is about to come out very soon. I would predict it a better knife than the woodlore and it is only £145, with a much shorter waiting time.

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8730

:D

I've had a little play with the prototype of this knife too and it's a smashing tool, really well thought out and very very well made. Had I not just got my packpal then I'd have been ordering one for sure.
They will be available in the next few weeks I believe and they are being produced with the most stunning looking birch scales....really nice, so if you like the look of the antler handled ones wait till you see the birch ones :D

I've got a piccy of it and it's lovely but I won't post it as I don't want to steel the thunder of the launch ;)

Cheers,

Bam.

EDIT: actually seeing as there's a piccy of the birch one on BB I'll post it here too:

Kniv.jpg

W

waldorf

From Woodlore seller
Quote:
I have measured it again and sorry the blade is 4mm. The total measurement from the tip of the blade to the end of the handle is aprox 220mm the blade is 103 mm and handle 115 mm. I know this only comes to 218 bot i did say 220 aprox. The maker is Alan wood and he makes theses in batches and there are sometimes slight different measurements in different batches as the are all different cause of being hand made.

I recently traded a Woodlore knife from the General and the dimensions above match the knife I have ;)

Cheers

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
bambodoggy said:
They will be available in the next few weeks I believe and they are being produced with the most stunning looking birch scales....really nice, so if you like the look of the antler handled ones wait till you see the birch ones :D

Why oh why must I be tempted by two different knives??

I really like the look of the bearclaw knife, does anyone know the measurements? Also I know it really has nothing to do with the knife, but has anyone seen / got a pic of the sheath that will be sold with the bearclaw knife??

Last thing.... The bearclaw knife, comparing against the woodlore, seems to look 'pointier' (the blade width from edge to back thining 'quicker' towards the point, if that makes sense :rolleyes: ) than the woodlore. Would this make any difference to the carving ability of the bearclaw, or the strength of the tip?

[[And to keep to the original thread, I noticed the woodlore on ebay is up to 330 with the reserve still not met..... :eek: ]]

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I don't know what the sheath is like for the Bearclaw knife but i believe Gerd Jorgensen is the maker so i expect the sheath ,like the knife to be beautiful.
Gerd does some fantastic work.
If i wasn't waiting on a couple of Nick Wheeler's - OSF knives and a couple of Alan Woods knives then I'd be putting my name down for a Bearclaw knife ,it looks great.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Exactly Chris. You don't even need a reserve on this because it will make lots of money anyway as we have seen in the past.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Ahh but we could all be missing the point, he might not have wanted to sell it...maybe he just wondered what it would fetch and made it safer for himself by putting a higher reserve on...or maybe his wife was making him sell it and he didn't really want too.... you never know! lol :D :p :D

Bam. :D

M

michael

I have seen a few woodlores on e-bay myself. Why do so many people sell them, if not for profit? Is there something wrong with them. If someone who is bringing one to the Summer SOUTH Wales Meet could let me have a little looky?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE