Woodlands. The future?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
The Future.

There is one thing that is permanent in life, and that’s change.

To predict the future you have to take a look back at past. That is understandable, after looking back at the past and seeing the amount of destruction and mismanagement of the woodland many people feared for the future of our woods. Will we continue to abandon them like we have done for over a century? Will we continue to let the old skills die out? Will there come a day when none of us will know of an old character who works in the woodland? Could there be a day when a society no longer remembers what the woodlands were for and how important they were to our survival?

It is my personal believe that the future of our woodlands is now firmly secured and there is now a chance of making changes for the better. There is plenty to be optimistic about. We should be aware though, that there are still plenty of challenges to overcome. We have the threat of climate change, even though, we are still not taking our foot of the gas, together with the pressures of increasing populations.

People’s attitudes have change dramatically towards the countryside and the woods within it. You only have to look at the membership numbers of the various conservation groups. The National Trust, Woodland Trust and the Wildlife trusts and many others have seen their membership explode over the last 10 years and expect it to continue year on year, with a combined figure of about 7 million members.

People are starting to see the that woodlands are important. You only have to see how many community woodlands there are around the country and the people who are caring and using them.

We will see more planting trees and areas of woodlands as agriculture is on the retreat. You can see corners of fields being planted up all ready. There is work being done at the moment to see if it is possible to ‘contact’ woods back up again as they have been fragmented by agriculture.

Are plenty of trees a good thing? Yes, without a doubt, but let’s not forget about the woodlands that have been here for a thousand years, otherwise the new woodlands will go the same way in the future. We also need quality, not quantity. It must be taken into account that, with all the technology man has at his finger tips he will under no circumstances be capable of ever reproducing our ancient woods. One example being that the soil of our ancient woodlands aren’t sodden with agricultural fertiliser and that our ancient woodlands are still full of archaeology saved from the plough.

The Governments of the world are starting to look at renewable energy sources. Trees are the definitive renewable energy, trees can be cropped for their wood for thousands of years, once they are harvested they just grow back. I would say that’s pretty renewable, wouldn’t you? There are plans for wood chip power stations around the country and we have thousands upon thousands of acres of abandoned woodlands growing millions of tonnes of wood each year. It is rather perverse then that we import 95% of BBQ charcoal when we should be using the local woodland for this.

Tourism will play an important role in the viability of the woods and the woodland business’. After the devastation that Foot and Mouth caused, it soon became apparent that the tourist trade was worth more to the rural economy than agriculture. Since then we have seen, and will continue to see, a maintained promotional drive for the tourist industry. Here in Dorset alone we have over 4.1 million visitors to the Purbeck Isle and this is a very small part of Dorset. There are many local initiatives going on throughout the country and the potential for woodland business’ to exploit this market is vast.

The woodsmen of this country have every reason to be proud of themselves. If it wasn’t for their self believe in what they do and for their wisdom, our woods may have been well beyond rescue. Their ability to be innovative in the products that they create and their passion to keep the woods working and having the courage to keep a exceptional way of life a live should be commended.

We, as woodsmen should at any given opportunity take it upon our selves to make sure that the woodlands we work in today are being looked after for the future. We should be creating new pollards, paying good attention to the ancient trees, increasing biodiversity and in a lot of case’s record the composition of each and every woodland we work in and then donate them to our County Record Office who will be more than appreciative of our work and vision. It would become a very significant document for centuries to come.

We mustn’t be afraid to share our skills and knowledge. In fact, it is our duty to do so. It is imperative to teach the young, as it is they who will be the custodians of the woodlands that we so adore.

As I am sure that our ghost’s will one day be walking the ancient rides of our old woods we should make sure that we are managing the woods for the young man who walks into the woodlands in a hundred years time and starts to learn the art of hurdle making and the skills of woodmanship, he will look around and see his children playing in a wonderful and safe environment thank us for thinking of him and looking after his beautiful and magnificent woodlands.

Lucky, is the child of a hurdle maker.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Thanks for posting that, Jack. :-D

Incredibly thought-provoking, but optimistic, too. Much appreciated! It's all too easy to feel down-hearted, as if it is a foregone conclusion that one day these green islands will be one big, sprawling, grey metropolis. We need optimists and folks with both strong memory of the past and a bright vision of the future to lead us on ... but they are sadly few and far between.

I truly hope your beautiful vision into the future is fulfilled. :-D

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Nice one Jack.
I would like to see the blend of agriculture and woodland as the two can mix to an extent as demonstrated by Permaculture "Forest gardens".
I would also like to see wild Venison and Boar as a staple instead or Beef.
Roll on the demise of the coniferous forests that have blighted our land for the past few years. In which nothing else lives or grows :evil:
A new forest industry must be allowed to harvest trees in their prime, giving us the best wood, and maintaining the healthiest woodland.
Wood products are undergoing a resurgence at the moment with lots of research and redevelopment, new uses, laminates tools and ideas hopefully we can get this wonderful renewable resource used to its full potential and cut down our reliance on finite oil and plastics and quarried stone and clay.
Here's to a bright future :cool:
Rich

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
A lot of the woods around where I live a SSSI's, mostly belonging to universities. Many of these are on land covered by the shoot on which I am a beater and occaisonal gun, so I get to poke around in them reasonably regularly.
Management of these woods appears to consist of cutting quite mature trees, then cutting them into lengths and leaving them to rot down.
Am I missing something, or is this a terrible waste?

Dave

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Apparently it forms "good Habitat" ie bugs like it, which encourages birds that eat the bugs....I found a wasp nest in one such pile i was liberating! :shock:
Now our ancient woodlands had not a stick of spare wood left in them as it was all gathered and burned in peasants households, yet there was a massive wild bird population...something doesn't add up?
Rich

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Apparently it forms "good Habitat" ie bugs like it, which encourages birds that eat the bugs....I found a wasp nest in one such pile i was liberating!
Now our ancient woodlands had not a stick of spare wood left in them as it was all gathered and burned in peasants households, yet there was a massive wild bird population...something doesn't add up?
Rich

I would have thought that there's other factors associated with "modern living" that also affect the populations. Of course, I don't know that for sure.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Kath said:
Thanks for posting that, Jack. :-D

Incredibly thought-provoking, but optimistic, too. Much appreciated! It's all too easy to feel down-hearted, as if it is a foregone conclusion that one day these green islands will be one big, sprawling, grey metropolis. We need optimists and folks with both strong memory of the past and a bright vision of the future to lead us on ... but they are sadly few and far between.

I truly hope your beautiful vision into the future is fulfilled. :-D

Thanks Kath.

We are getting there..............over 30,000 acres of new woodland was planted last year alone and we can expect the same this years as well.

Best wishes.

Jack.

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
hmm , not sure if this should be here but---, we try and teach our children the value of things and what goes into them, case in point our table at home, hopefully they will remember that its not just a table,it took a long time for that tree to grow, the woodsman had to wait till the time was right before he cut it down and prepared it, cut the pegs that hold it together , shape it by hand, use all of his craft, who knows what he was feeling when he did all this but it wouldnt have been the same all the time, all those emotions and feelings have left a trace in our table, the place where we all gather round and find new friendships ,break and fix others and in turn leave our own traces,,my daughter sits at that table with her charcoal doing drawings again thanks to people who keep such a wonderfull craft alive, each stick has a different emotion which in turn directs the feel of the picture, all this cannot be found in an instant where people want it right now,an instant hit for the lacking of substance,not enough people care about what`s around them which makes me sad, but i`m happy that my little tribe are aware of it and they dont want to buy tomb raider , they`d rather go down the woods.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Those of you who have rolled your eyes at my little rant earlier this evening might like to know that I feel slightly mollified by this, another thoughtful posting from Jack. I am lucky to be in an area with lots of trees, although quite how much qualifies as "woodland" I do not know... Just how many trees make a wood, I wonder?

Also in this area, at present, is a massive explosion in house building. It's awful. Trees felled, fields buried under concrete, identikit houses built with no sense of sympathy to the locality. But perhaps it is necessary, and perhaps it is life. Sometimes the ugliness shouts a little louder, but the beauty will still be there, smiling from a pleasant corner.

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
sorry , please ignore this , i just clicked the "stop watching thread " link by accident :oops: so i need to get back on , my kids will also go "dad taught us many things but he was a fool sometimes" :-D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE