Woodland trust / Ancient Tree Hunt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ben_Hillwalker

Forager
Sep 19, 2005
Surrey
Interesting, I may give it a go as it seems fairly simple. Not sure about the 10-figure grid reference though as I don't own a GPS handset.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
looks like they have absolutely no info on my local patch would be good to help if i get the time maybe i'll suggest it to the lads and see what they say

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Well to do the surveys you just fill in the details on the form of trees that you think must be pretty damn old, a very rough guide is slow growing trees with big girths and height.

The suspected ancient trees are sent out to verifiers whos job it is to visit certain trees and take accurate measurements etc.

Anyone can send in surveys but to be a verifier you will need to volunteer through the woodland trust.
http://www.woodland-trust.org.uk/whatshappening/yneckeventdetails.asp?a=1000&hc=33&h=1590&l=n

redflex

Need to contact Admin...
In Herefordshire in some areas you go on training course shown how to do it then given a forms to complete when doing the survey. They will give you places near your home to do.

It is straight forward the training is really basic and easy it is a good day out.

You can do one tree or a thousand just what you have time for.

The do not send out verifiersto all trees as that would prove pointless the verifies as they could have done the survey in the first place. They normally only go out to trees of a certain girth or age.

Tree survey which is carried out professionally is much more in depth and very costly.

Have done both the ancient trees surveys and professional surveys it is worth doing the voluntary surveys.

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Just giving this a little bump as the website is now up and running with all the bugs ironed out and ready for people to add those big old trees that we all know about.

You dont need to be an expert or anything like that. There are tips and guides on what to do...you dont even need to know the type of tree!!

Just get all those big trees that you know about put in there!!

http://www.ancient-tree-hunt.org.uk/

I urge every member to try and register at least one tree each! :D :D :D :D :D

Thanks.

Andy.

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Marts said:
Yeah I meant as a verifier. I was curious about the amount of time the training took.
1 day. :)
Its not a case that as a verifier your expected to be able to age a tree etc. just to make sure the data being entered by the public is a) valid and b) suitable. We're just moderating the site content I suppose, and in some cases visiting the tree to take snaps, check measurements etc.

The real hard work is of all the contributors!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE