Recommendations in Scotland?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 15, 2022
United states
I apologise to admins if this breaks any rules. I didn't know where else to post.

I am coming to Scotland in December - January for a month after losing both of my parents. I am going to be booking an Airbnb and was wondering if anyone could recommend a small town in Scotland with a catholic church to stay in. I would like the highlands but not a requirement. I might stay in a larger city (Glasgow, Edinburgh or maybe London) if I can't find exactly what I am looking for.

A few things to consider to help me and what I am looking for:
  • In my 20s, very fit (listed for relevance of outdoor purposes (doubt I will be doing anything due to the cold weather I have heard of))
  • Devout Catholic (I would like to attend Mass regularly during my stay)
  • Love history (Anglo Saxons, ancient celts, Scandinavian, Vikingums, etc.)
  • Autistic
  • Spent a good portion of my life farming, riding horses and caring for animals.
  • I like small towns where I can go to a small catholic church, get to know people, make friends, go have a pint in a small pub, breakfast in a small family owned restaurant, light a fire late at night, star gaze, etc.
  • I would like sight seeing as well of course. Museums, cemeteries, historical sights, castles, art, etc.
  • I will (most likely) be renting a car.
Thank you to all who wish to guide me and help.

Last edited:

Souledman

Nov 14, 2020
Glasgow
Hi Mhearadh, I don’t know if this will help, but you could try searching for church first and then see if some of your other requirements work:
This has a list of catholic parishes in Argyll and southern highlands:

Oban would be a good base to visit other areas in the highlands. I know folk have warned you off trying the islands because the ferries can be unreliable in the winter, but if you were based in Oban if you got a clear day I think you would enjoy the trip to Mull and on to Iona.

Lochgilphead, Campbeltown, Dunoon are a bit smaller. Lochgilphead seemed nice, but only been for a day, not been to Dunoon/Campbeltown.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Was about to say West Coast, Argyll and Bute. Arran is a nice Isle but notorious for ferries breaking down or hitting things messing things up. We got the last spot on the Lochranza ferry off one Sunday after such ferry disruption from brodick. Literally had the ferry ramp nudge me the last inch into the car in front!

Lamlash has a really nice cafe near the pier that keeps us going back.

Argyll area is stacked full of castles. Some private others Scottish heritage owned. Dumfries and Galloway too has a fair few castles. One is on an island in the river and you get a small boat across to it. That's a tall castle and in relatively good nick considering.

Oban is home to Dunollie Castle. Home to the MacDougall clan. Not a bad castle. That clan built a lot of the castles and priories in the area. Once were very influential in Scotland until they picked the wrong side. I think the higher up society's ladder you were back in the 1200s to 1700s the more you had to be a canny political operator. The MacDougall's decent was met with the McDonald's rise.

Catholic Church I don't really know much about. Looking around oban area these last few days it seems more Scottish Episcopal Church that's big round here. No idea what that means I'm afraid. It does sound a bit like the protestant churches my American grandad failed from that we don't have where I'm from in England.

Im surprised they don't do some kind of zoom Church thing these days with modern communication systems. Might get around the church side of your enquiry a little, but not ideal. Church can be social for people too.

Enjoy your trip when. It happens.

Reactions: Mhearadh.macleod
Oct 15, 2022
United states
Hi Mhearadh, I don’t know if this will help, but you could try searching for church first and then see if some of your other requirements work:
This has a list of catholic parishes in Argyll and southern highlands:

Oban would be a good base to visit other areas in the highlands. I know folk have warned you off trying the islands because the ferries can be unreliable in the winter, but if you were based in Oban if you got a clear day I think you would enjoy the trip to Mull and on to Iona.

Lochgilphead, Campbeltown, Dunoon are a bit smaller. Lochgilphead seemed nice, but only been for a day, not been to Dunoon/Campbeltown.
Thanks mate this has been helpful. I am considering going to Iona and possibly staying in an Airbnb. There is an Abbey in Iona and considering I am coming to the UK for Uni so I can find work post graduation, get my citizenship and then contemplating the priesthood/monastic life I think this might be a good fit but as you said, getting to the island may be rather difficult. I also found another Abbey called Pluscarden Abbey which is in the north but I am not sure if this would be a good idea or not. I don't think I want to stay at an Abbey the entire month but I do want to at minimal attend mass and confessions while maybe staying a few days or so.
-
I am still contemplating the big cities because there is way much more to do but is it truly going to be a good idea for my mental healing and growing closer to God? I am not sure and that's what I am trying to find out.
-
I know I can enjoy myself in the big city but I need to find some peace. Too much of my life has been tragedy and hardship. Most who know me will say my life has been an absolute unfortunate state. I just don't want to make the wrong decision and go to the city and wish I was in the country or vice versa

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My only caveat about December is that it can be very dull, very dreich with very short days. We'll hope that the weather is kind, and is bright and dry for your trip :)

History is all around us, to most of us it's just background noise really, but if you have a look at these links, you might find ideas of places/sites to visit.

Your daily religious attendance can be an issue in most small places. In many of our rural areas there are no longer churches open except on Sundays, and then often by rotation through several villages/towns.

I think you need to go to a town like Inverness which has a religious population enough to support an RC church with daily mass. St. Mary's for instance.
(incidentally they do an online mass, so you can visit before you come to Scotland, see if it's suitable for your needs, perhaps become familiar with the church and the people)

Ten years ago I worked a couple of days in their local primary school, which is adjacent to the church, and the laity were genuinely lovely people, quietly happy and welcoming to visitors. I only met the Priest in passing, as he came to see what the children were doing.

The thing about a town like Inverness is that it's touristy enough that it's still 'open' in Winter time. There are open pubs and restaurants all year round. That is not true for many much smaller towns. Loads of B&B's/ air BnB's available there too. It's very central for the Highlands and for many of us those are Winter playgrounds. Not just walking and climbing but if the snow cover is good, a lot of skiing/snowboarding too. Also good fishing/boat trips and it's handy for rail and plane travel.

I haven't suggested the islands like Barra, simply because you need to access ferries and in Winter, who knows ? you can be stuck for a week on the mainland waiting to get across if the weather's bad or the ferry's broken down (we're having issues with ferries just now; real issues)
On t'other hand Oban's good, and if the weather plays along, and the ferries are running, you might well get out to Iona, etc., as @Souledman suggested.

The other area that might suit you is Moidart, and again, they have online services that you might find interesting and helpful for making up your mind.

London is so far away from Scotland that most of us never visit, and those who do rarely go back except to go through the train stations or airports.
It's not a simple thing to 'stay in London' and visit Scotland, is what I'm trying to say. It's a loooong journey, it's a long tiring journey.
I think you'd have more fun in York, tbh if you're staying south of the border :)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
A work colleague went out for a job in Texas. He went with a colleague from that company to pick up a new truck. It was in the next town as he was told. It took 1200 miles and 15 hours or so. That was considered fairly local in Texas.

I think distance has a different scale in other countries. Having said that, uk trains make London to Fort William seem very long journey. You can take 3 hours and several changes to cross northern England from Liverpool or Manchester to Hull for example, just over 110 miles I think. That journey would take a lot of your energy out of you. And driving is worse. The one exception would be the Friday afternoon sleeper to Fort William. 7am up ready for breakfast as you're young through the Highlands. Into Fort Bill in time for a trip up Ben Nevis!

Souledman

Nov 14, 2020
Glasgow
I just don't want to make the wrong decision and go to the city and wish I was in the country or vice versa

If I was coming for a month I wouldn’t plan to stay in one place, you could do a week each in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Inverness and Oban or spread the time across the places where you’re looking at relevant university courses.

That would also mean making the wrong choice for one week is only for one week, so no big deal.

For what it’s worth, the cities are generally easy to get out of, so in Glasgow you’re only half an hour drive from Loch Lomond.

The scale thing is right though, a long distance here is not the same as in the US; also a small town here is probably much smaller; Inverness is a fair size but not really big not even 50,000 people, I guess the University of Highlands and Island campus also adds a bit of vibrancy off season.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Of course I am biased here, but there is a huge amount to see and do in the Scottish Borders.

The river Tweed, and all the history of weaving.

Roman forts, Pictish Brochs cairns and catrails, all the mediaeval monasteries, standing stones and more modern attractions Melrose has a roman Museum, Walter Scotts house at Abbotsford, Great tapestry of Scotland, more hills than you can shake a stick at and all of it little more than an hour away from the bright lights of Edinburgh.

A little bit gentler in December than the highlands which can be relentlessly unforgiving if the weather turns against you but still wild enough to get lost in.

Off the top of my head 2 community woodlands on our doorstep here in Galashiels Wooplaw and Glenkinnon) and an hourly train service to Edinburgh.

A lot more stories and places if you check the map and google individual names. I have lived here for 20 years and am still discovering new stuff.

Promised a friend in the states to go visit some of the standing stones I pass in the car and photograph with the dogs, will keep me busy for months I reckon :)

Tant

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Left yesterday.

14 hours drive. (But I took it easy as the car was loaded)

Miss it already.

But! Ill be back in March!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE