wood turners!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
i need a couple of small jobs doing and would supply the wood,plus pay ! what i need is 4 small spools made for fishing line.
4inches accross,1.5 inches deep with a chanel in the side about1/2 inch deep.can anyone help?

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I can :) Probably would not cost you too much, I work as a woodwork tutor for a charity and I would be able to get one of my client there to do them as a project. Unless you want them, like yesterday:D , of course. Can you post a drawing to see exactly what you are after. Does not need to be Michaelangelo drawing!

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
I can easily make those but the shipping would be expensive. I have all sorts of wood so that is no problem.

Are these spools for bow fishing? What size bolt hole through the center? How thick a rim on the ends?

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
here ygo! jo jo, can you pm me an address to send the hardwoods to?and price for 4 of these?

686360882_be43a52344_m-1.jpg

EDIT !!!!!!!HOLE NEEDS TO BE 6MM!

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Are these spools for bow fishing? What size bolt hole through the center? How thick a rim on the ends?

thnks for the offer weaver but the shipping as you say would be prohibative!

theyre gonna be a classy handline holder! the idea is to have a brass spindle that the spool can freely run on ,with a leather strap to fit 2 finger behind on the back,the line would cast streight off the frond and be wound by hand then fish played on the drum as on a centerspin. i will be making a posh leather case for them to fit neatly and comfortably in the pocket.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
That sounds a great idea but I'm not clear on the details.

I would like to make a few for use myself.

Can you point me to a photo or give me some more details on the construction?

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
That sounds a great idea but I'm not clear on the details.

I would like to make a few for use myself.

Can you point me to a photo or give me some more details on the construction?

no pics yed as its my own design and hasnt been made yet!

handine.jpg

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Just so that I get the things right first time:rolleyes

2007-09-29-1437-35.jpg

Is the hole to be exactly 6mm or does it need to be a bit bigger.

I have marked a couple more dimensions I need

What sort of wood do you plan to use and what shape does it come in? Because I think the grain should go the way I marked it as it would make the edges of the reels less likely to break.

And, looking again at your sketch, how deep the recess for the bolt head and is the recess on the 60mm side ro the 50mm side?

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
here ygo!

2007-09-29-1437-35.jpg

dont worry about the recess' as i will do those to fit what bits i can lay my hands on!
as for wood ,i can supply oak walnut and mahogany.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
fish,

A small knob on the outside of the reel will enable you to crank the line in quickly.

Did you have that in mind or some other method?

I think I will try to make one this weekend and maybe get a picture up.

>oak walnut and mahogany.< of those three I think Mahogany would be best.

Scots,

Nice drafting, did you use a CAD program? Which one?
I trained as a draftsman but it was before CAD and I never retrained. Went into other design areas instead.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
That's very good drawings, I can't go wrong now! I agree with Weaver Re the Mahogany. Besides, I have got some at work and can use some of that and start next week.
As far as cost, let's say the cost of postage + a tenner to go to the charity towards the use of the lathe and wood should do it.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
That's very good drawings, I can't go wrong now! I agree with Weaver Re the Mahogany. Besides, I have got some at work and can use some of that and start next week.
As far as cost, let's say the cost of postage + a tenner to go to the charity towards the use of the lathe and wood should do it.

sounds great! is that price for 4? pm me with details of where to post to!many thanks.

scr, those are good drawings,only thing to change is the bore of the central hole to 6mm.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
You are using the brass tube as a bearing?

If the tube and the hole are exactly the same size the tube won't fit in the hole. A little extra space such as .25 mm oversize allows for a slip fit and room for glue. If the tube is thin brass and you try to force it into the hole it may crimp the edge or thicken the wall and make the shaft that has to go through it too tight.

Have you a Micrometer to measure exactly the diameter of the tube?

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
That's for 4, yes! I think I agree with Weaver, it would be really difficult to put the 6mm tube in a 6mm hole, although I haven't got a 6.25mm drill bit, I could use a 1/4" which is slightly bigger, although the question is: is it too big? Can't think how big a 1/4" is in mm, too early for me:D

I haven't got a micrometer but I have a good calliper:rolleyes: . I am off to Bristol in a few minutes so I'll be off air all day....

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
hi weaver,the tube is as a bearing,if the hole is 6mm i can use someemery to enlarge it slightly if ned be.if i chamfered the edge of the tube would it not press fit there fore negate the need for glue?
as for a handle for winding ,initially i thaught of using hand or the drum itself,but having given it some thaught i have decided to fit a foldin brass handle that fold so the handle fits into a recess.

handline.jpg

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Try it, you can always enlarge the hole. Even if it is a tight fit I think a spot of cyanoacrylate would help.

I like the fold out crank. But, I would experiment with different lengths, if it is too long you will lose speed. Try different weights similar to the fish you expect to catch to see how easy it is to operate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE