Woad seeds give away

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Would anyone like some woad seeds.

My friend has grown some, and the seeds are about to come ripe, and need to be planted soon after riping, so if you would like to grow your own dye, or war paint drop me a PM.

xylaria

Don't worry I have plenty of seed.

It likes high nutrient soil, not too fussy what type, just a lot of nutrients. Will steel nutrition off surrounding plants but exhaust the soil after two years. The only places I have seen it grow wild is the banks of the severn where a lot of silt is washed over the land.

I will post the seeds out this weekend.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I am the proud recipient of some woad seeds. Thanks Xylaria!!! I have been Googling the issue of germination. As they appear to be a major pest in parts of the mid west of USA their life cycle is quite well documented.

I read 2 detailed sources. Either the seed pod or the seed has a chemical in that inhibits the germination until it has been leached out. This can delay germination for many years it seems.

So, I plan to plant a few with different treatments to see what works

1) the pods as sent (some have a seed in and some don't)

2) selected pods with a seed in (chucking the empty ones)

3) seeds separated from the pod

4) seeds pods thorougly soaked and re washed a few times

Also I will plant some on the surface and some just below the surface.

Also, I note that they are reported to particularly populate gravelly and rocky places, so I will try some in gravel as well as soil.

Interesting that I heart Xylaria say they they like rich soils as a rocky environment seems the opposite.

Might try a rich soil as an option then as well.

Apparently they inhibit other plants around them so perhaps they will do well if planted in garden soil that hasen't been sterilised.

That would be a lot of options! I will try a few variations in this list anyway.

xylaria

They grow on the steep sides of the severn valley, and dove dale. Where it is rocky sandstone that gets flood water and high nutrient detris. I have read that they are a pest in US but here woad is rare.

I gave out so many seeds because I know the germination rate is very poor. My friend who has the gift, only managed to get one plant out of a pack of 30 seeds. She used ordinary potting compost. But the plant makes up for it by producing thousands of seeds.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I have got some visible germination in my seeds separated from the pods!

I placed my seeds on a few layers of kitchen towel and covered over by another layer, all on a saucer, moistened, and 3/4 closed in with some cling film and located on a window sill. I now need to transfer to some soil I guess!

I ended up with 4 different treatments:- one as above, 2 others in similar set ups in saucers but with the seed pods still attached, one washed twice daily to wash out the suspected germination inhibitor. The last batch I raked into a neglected patch of gravel in my garden.

Floyd Soul

Forager
Jul 31, 2006
The woods, Ireland.
I've grown a few of them this spring too. There planted out in the garden but have failed to grow more than 6 inches high. Shame really, I had high hopes of being a dashing painted warrior come Samhain!

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I've grown a few of them this spring too. There planted out in the garden but have failed to grow more than 6 inches high. Shame really, I had high hopes of being a dashing painted warrior come Samhain!
Did they flower? If they didn't then you might get a much bigger plant next year. Apparently they usually flower in the 2nd or 3rd year.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
They are reported to be mostly a biennial. The low growing rosette is the first year stage. These are apparently the best leaves for making woad from. The 2nd year it sends up flowers and seeds like mad.

They are reported to be mostly a biennial. The low growing rosette is the first year stage. These are apparently the best leaves for making woad from. The 2nd year it sends up flowers and seeds like mad.

Thats right, the rosette in the first year is what you want for dye, pick it around midday when its really hot and sunny for the best colour I find, then next year havest seed for future use. Its a bit temperamental sometimes, some years it grows like a weed for me, other years not at all. Havent planted any this year at all though. :(

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Do you have any tips on how to extract the dye Sally? There seem to be a number of ideas on the net.

I was wondering - how did it get discovered as a dye? I am guessing that the colour the leaves can turn in the autumn could be a clue? In that case I am wondering if bindweed would produce a purply blue dye, but when I look it up apparently it can produce a yellow dye, so that idea seems a bit off.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE