Wild country hoolie 3 man

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
My wild country tent is getting on a bit at 25 years old and im looking at getting a hoolie. Anyone got one? Wdyt? Thanks

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We got the Hoolie 3 or 4 ETC, can't remember which now. Used it for a fortnight's cycle tour in Scotland and took it back to the shop. Within a couple of days one pole split at the end where the inner link pin was press fit into the pole and then a crimp put in to hold it? Poor design IMHO because that crimping put in a number of slot like holes which was where it split.

At the same time the webbing strap holding IIRC inner tent to the outer tent and pegging point failed where it was stitched into the inner tent. Fortunately the bathtub ground sheet wasn't compromised but very nearly.

A number of other failures I can't remember since it was 4 or more years back. Needless to say we pitched it once at my parents to make sure it went up ok and then we'd had 2 or 3 days before first failure. When the pole went it damaged the pole sleeve but not enough to cause a leak into the inside? We had a pole repair tube from an old Vango force 10 vitesse single skin tent I had? A big oversized for the pole but duct tape solved that. Meant we had a double pole segment sticking out the back of my pannier rack. We ended up touring 3 days and car camping with our big tent then doing day trips on the bikes instead.

I think they've come out with a new design so it might be a better tent, but I've been put off wild country since then. It's really sad to see what Terra Nova did to the brand when they basically took it over then turned it into an inferior tent brand, a cheap brand to TN's supposedly premium brand. Back in the day WC and TN were at the same design, technical, quality and price level. If anything I think WC were slightly better tent builders. Now I'd not touch them with all the pole repair kits in the world! You can understand that because it's failure changed our holiday plans and nearly ruined the family holiday. Our first family tour with our then 3.5 year old son.

I hope this information is helpful but do bear in mind it's just one family's experience. If you can see one in person do? I would check out what make of poles are used, what thickness poles and what the segment linkage looks like. Pay attention to where there's a pin in one end of the pole segments. If there's a crimp to hold it in instead of a solid press fit and even glue then I'd avoid. Check the stitching, especially where any webbing is stitched to the tent fabric. Look at general quality and tidiness of the stitching and manufacture. If it looks poor or very messy then I'd be concerned it's no better than ours was. BTW we're not the only people to have issues with hoolies. We looked online back when ours failed, poles and stitching failure was not uncommon.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Thanks Paul for your help. Thanks for taking the time to write the review, much appreciated.
I will take your advice, it seems there are a few people not happy with the hoolie so I will dodge that one.
Looking at terra nova actual now.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It's a real shame about wild country and what I reckon the TN takeover did to it. They were, in the UK, big competitors which drove standards up in design and quality I reckon. I used to get the old field & trek and cotswolds catalogues (also competitors) as a teenager. I used look at kayaks, canoes and tents. TN and WC used to pretty much have tents designed to match each other's. Imho WC were slightly better.

It's probably wiser to look elsewhere. Personally the better tents for weight and design I think are American. Big Agnes, MSR and Marmot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE