Wild Camping in Stonehaven (Abedeenshire)?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK
Hello!

I've read up on the 'rules of the road' on wild camping in Scotland, and am very keen to do some later on in the year. I am looking at Stonehaven, near to the coast (not far from the castle), as I not only heard it was okay to camp there, but saw a couple photos.

But I also know people lie, and people ignore the rules.

So can anyone tell me -- is it okay to wild camp on the grassy bits by the beach? that run along the same coastline as Dunnottar Castle? I've done lots of searches on here and Google and just can't seem to find any information at all.

Thank you! Also, sorry if this is in the wrong place, it seemed like the right one! :)

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Should be fine as long as you are not on someones fenced off property. stick by the rules, "Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints" and it's a good un..

Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK
Well here's where I am confused. I don't think it constitutes as 'fenced land', because the footpath that leads to it from the town of Stonehaven is just grass and isn't enclosed or private land, etc.

However the actual road has a fence either side of it.

I don't think it is fenced though. I am so new to all this it just confuses me. The land looks mowed as the grass is very short on Google maps, but then again it doesn't look like farm (no fences to prevent walking, no animals, no houses, etc).

In fact give me a moment I will post a google images pic of exactly where I mean. Maybe then someone will know.

Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK
16322469574_05dc12a0c7_b.jpg

16943890211_26d777e0cd_o.png

There we go. Excuse the abysmal mouse writing haha. It's bigger than it looks; a patch of grass overlooking the ocean, more than 100m away from the castle.

As I say a non-fenced public footpath can lead you here quite easily past a little landmark called 'Black Hill' The only fence is that on either side of the road which you can see on the second picture. Does that make this grass land fenced or is that just to protect people from the road? Thanks for all your help.

As I said I have already read all the guidance, but unfortunately that doesn't say which land is considered private/public and as a newbie to all this I am a bit confused. Thanks.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's fenced land.

You need to look closer down towards the foreshore, and that looks like active beach there….that roadway and footpath means that it's used by the locals almost like a park would be in the city.

There'll be somewhere tucked away down by the beach where you could pitch up for a day or so, but it's not a site where you could settle in and stay for a week. That's not the idea behind the Access Code anyway. It's simply to give a place to pitch up for just a day or so.

Google maps is deceptive; that area looks dead quiet, but I have a cousin and his family live up there, and if the weather's good, if the schools are out, if the tourists are visiting the castle, etc., then it's not empty of people, iimmc. It's also right next to farmland, so I wouldn't trust any wild water for drinking or washing.

cheers,
Toddy

Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK
That's fenced land.

You need to look closer down towards the foreshore, and that looks like active beach there….that roadway and footpath means that it's used by the locals almost like a park would be in the city.

There'll be somewhere tucked away down by the beach where you could pitch up for a day or so, but it's not a site where you could settle in and stay for a week. That's not the idea behind the Access Code anyway. It's simply to give a place to pitch up for just a day or so.

Google maps is deceptive; that area looks dead quiet, but I have a cousin and his family live up there, and if the weather's good, if the schools are out, if the tourists are visiting the castle, etc., then it's not empty of people, iimmc. It's also right next to farmland, so I wouldn't trust any wild water for drinking or washing.

cheers,
Toddy

Thanks Toddy! I had an inkling it was (damn those deceptive photos, I saw a pic of a tent right on that patch as well).

I am a little pensive about heading further into the highlands, as I'm new to it all, and have only the most basic knowledge of reading an OS map. Last thing I want is to get lost out there with no phone signal!

My biggest downfall is that I don't drive; anywhere I go is either via public transport or on foot, so it makes reaching certain Lochs really difficult.

EDIT: What about the 'Woods of Dunnottar'? (it's on Google maps, little ways from the castle) Sorry about all the questions :eek:

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
How about a known site that we can happily recommend, slap bang in the middle of Highland Perthshire, with lots of good walking around, and public transport right past the bottom of their road, for a first jaunt ? Fires, woodland pitches, hills behind, loch and rivers the other way.

http://www.comriecroft.com/sleep/introduction.html

and once you're there, and finding it comfortable, it's a good place to start getting a grip on where else to head out to.

Dunottar I don't know….bound to be someone who does though :D
If the thread is kept active then it'll maybe catch their eye :cool:

Where did you see the tent ? we have machar (think beachside grazing lands) grasslands that are often unfenced but are still grazing/hay lands, and that area you showed (if it's the nook to the south ?) gets busy.

http://www.visitscotland.com/info/towns-villages/stonehaven-beach-p315901
http://www.stonehavenguide.net/finalversion.pdf

M

Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK
How about a known site that we can happily recommend, slap bang in the middle of Highland Perthshire, with lots of good walking around, and public transport right past the bottom of their road, for a first jaunt ? Fires, woodland pitches, hills behind, loch and rivers the other way.

http://www.comriecroft.com/sleep/introduction.html

and once you're there, and finding it comfortable, it's a good place to start getting a grip on where else to head out to.

Dunottar I don't know….bound to be someone who does though :D
If the thread is kept active then it'll maybe catch their eye :cool:

Where did you see the tent ? we have machar (think beachside grazing lands) grasslands that are often unfenced but are still grazing/hay lands, and that area you showed (if it's the nook to the south ?) gets busy.

http://www.visitscotland.com/info/towns-villages/stonehaven-beach-p315901
http://www.stonehavenguide.net/finalversion.pdf

M

It was on the 'Visit Scotland' website's wild camping page. Check out the slideshow on this page.

http://www.visitscotland.com/see-do/activities/walking/wild-camping

Thank you for that link, that sounds like a fantastic idea. I love the discount they offer for people who arrive without a car, too. Thank you so much for your help! ^_^

andibs

Forager
Jan 27, 2012
S. Yorks
I lived in Stonehaven for 7 years and I wouldn't camp right on the cliff top as if the wind gets up, Holland could be the next stop. Also check the ground as some of the cliffs around the area slip on a regular basis (well it is the start of the Highland Fault after all)

I suspect that the area that you've looked at would be classed as castle grounds, therefore fenced. If you walk along the cliff top path from Stoney, there are a few possible little spots

Andy

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
Loch Rannoch Forestry Commission site in the old Caledonian Pine Forest - quiet, wwalks, munros, loos, water, cold showers, fires @ £7 a night

Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK
Loch Rannoch Forestry Commission site in the old Caledonian Pine Forest - quiet, wwalks, munros, loos, water, cold showers, fires @ £7 a night

Thanks andibs, I was wondering about the wind levels in an area like that!

Thanks nic a char, I'll have a gander at that one. Ooooh you're all so helpful this is awesome. :You_Rock_

Really looking at the Comrie Croft now; get a 10% discount for rocking up on a bus! Yeahhhh :D

andibs

Forager
Jan 27, 2012
S. Yorks
If you still fancy the stonehaven area, you could walk from there to banchory over the slug road and from banchory, pick up the old railway line (now a walking, bridalway) to Ballater then Braemar. Bus back to Aberdeen

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE