Wild camp locations and trekking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 8, 2008
Manchester
A few weeks ago I took myself into the coniferous forest to the West of Derwent Reservoir in the Peak District for a night. Fire, bivvy, tarp, pine needle tea (together with 2 litres of red wine in a bag and tobacco) - fantastic. I woke up after a comfortable night to discover that there had been considerable snow fall - excellent.

Before embarking upon this I did call the relevant authority to enquire as to permission to wild camp, light fires, bludgeon sheep with endangered newts etc. I got a straight and grumpy "no". Although the ranger in question did qualify this with "if you can't be seen, there's no problem, is there".

I'm planning a four-five day trek later in the year in the UK somewhere and I'd like to do as much wild camping/bushcraft (not pubic topiary ) as possible, preferably without being arrested.

Does anyone know of any remote wild camp areas / routes where I could do this/get away with this? I'd really appreciate some advice. Thanks.

Lucyc

Forager
Jan 19, 2008
Somerset
A few weeks ago I took myself into the coniferous forest to the West of Derwent Reservoir in the Peak District for a night. Fire, bivvy, tarp, pine needle tea (together with 2 litres of red wine in a bag and tobacco) - fantastic. I woke up after a comfortable night to discover that there had been considerable snow fall - excellent.

Before embarking upon this I did call the relevant authority to enquire as to permission to wild camp, light fires, bludgeon sheep with endangered newts etc. I got a straight and grumpy "no". Although the ranger in question did qualify this with "if you can't be seen, there's no problem, is there".

I'm planning a four-five day trek later in the year in the UK somewhere and I'd like to do as much wild camping/bushcraft (not pubic topiary ) as possible, preferably without being arrested.

Does anyone know of any remote wild camp areas / routes where I could do this/get away with this? I'd really appreciate some advice. Thanks.

I'm afraid I have no good advice and sorry for going so quickly offtopic, but I only noticed this a few days ago! Can we change the name of bushcraft please?! :eek:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
That's a hard question to answer on here as you're not supposed to do it and thus anyone answering you will be encouraging you to be naughty and that's not good:togo:

There's wild camping and wild camping, one is in wild places and the other is camping where you're not supposed to. If you want to wild camp legally then I'd suggest a trip to Scotland :D

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
Sorry to totally ignore your question Wraith, but i have just realised what Lucy was talking about!!!! hahhahaha....... I quite like the name actually:D

Kimbo

Lucyc

Forager
Jan 19, 2008
Somerset
That's a hard question to answer on here as you're not supposed to do it and thus anyone answering you will be encouraging you to be naughty and that's not good:togo:

There's wild camping and wild camping, one is in wild places and the other is camping where you're not supposed to. If you want to wild camp legally then I'd suggest a trip to Scotland :D
Or Dartmoor, although if you're near the peak district then I guess Scotland would be easier!

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Sorry to totally ignore your question Wraith, but i have just realised what Lucy was talking about!!!! hahhahaha....... I quite like the name actually:D

Kimbo

Which begs the question: Is tacit approval sufficient for a spot of bushcrafting on someone else's patch?

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Me and some mates are thinking of a weekend out in SE England - a walk to a site where we can camp over night and use/ light fires/ use hammocks etc..

Anyone pm me with details of any kent/ sussex sites that we could use on a private arrangement? - Any of the sites some of you folks use for meetups?

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
I dont know about "legal" wild camping but if its a good long hike with remote places your thinking about then i suggest penine way... its great !!

is there anyone that knows of any good places in the midlands in the general derbyshire/nottinghamshire area that is good for camping?? thanks

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Just to add to this, I am not totally up on the Laws of this land, God knows half of the PCSO's and Police don't know them at the best of times, but if you are somewhere you are not meant to be, that is classed as Trespass which is a civil offence and therefore there is no chance of you being carted away in cuffs. if you are lighting fires on that land, shooting an air rifle or damaging property then you can expect to get a fetching set of steel and black plastic bracelets put on you and a taxi ride in the back of a jam sandwhich! I'm not in any way saying that you should go ahead and do it, let's get that clear from the outset, but if you do go, make sure you know the Law and don't breeak it. Our rights concerning land access are pretty pants in England and lighting fires on public property will never help our cause. Use your common sense.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
...if you are somewhere you are not meant to be, that is classed as Trespass which is a civil offence and therefore there is no chance of you being carted away in cuffs.
Very true, unless you happen to have strayed onto MoD property at which point you're dealing with a criminal offence.

Cameron McNeish was interviewed on one of the Outdoors Station podcasts (This one here, in fact) about land access. Worth listening to if you have a spare half hour.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
That is true enough, although I would expect most people would steer clear of a place with armed security prowling about the place. generally though, as there are always exceptions, you will be asked to leave by the landowner.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Wild camping site HERE, basically as long as you're doing no harm, not lighting fires and acting like a tool and more importantly, set up camp just before it gets dark then nobody can be arsed bothering you.

That is as long as your not in the enclosed land and on the common land and you should be OK as long as you don't eat the natterjack toads and set fire to the heathland.

Seems that the main problems people have is with drinks bottles smashed round a massive campfire and when we lived on the borders of the fell land we never had any bother with people bothering the sheep either.

Not condoning illegal activity, yada yada yada, ad infinitum.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
My cousins once set up camp in the dark to avoid being harrassed after driving along time to find somewhere to put the tent up. When morning came they discovered they were right next to a public path in a rather busy park with a policeman stood outside the tent.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
My cousins once set up camp in the dark to avoid being harrassed after driving along time to find somewhere to put the tent up. When morning came they discovered they were right next to a public path in a rather busy park with a policeman stood outside the tent.

But by that time it was morning, they had already had a nights sleep and were most likely going to move on anyway, what was he going to do? Tell em to move on?;)
That's not the end of the world is it?

Yeah I know...
Still not condoning illegal wild camping, yada yada yada, ad infinitum...

I'll beat myself with a bit of birch to make up for it and say twenty hail marys;)

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
hi me and some mates are looking for a good place to go wild camping. we live in derbyshire.

anyone Pm me with details of sites that we could use on a private arrangement? Any of the sites you lot use for meetups?

thanks

bushcraftsman

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE