wicker eel /crayfish trap!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
i decided to make one of only natural materials without the use of string or wire. i have in the past made eel traps of hazel but i found it not pliable enough for the fine work needed,and as there are no willows around here i wondered what our ancestors would have used,and what was abundant around here at the source of the river Wyle in the shadow of the white sheet neolithic camp.i have from time to time found beutifull flint tools around here whilst out walking or shooting.
after some thaught i decided to try ,of all things brambles! i gathered a load of them,and i found that a good pair of welding gloves helped with the thorns.some of the bramble runners were nearly 20 feet long.
having gathered enough for the job ,i decided that a former,ie some thing to use to weave over ,would help in keeping the trap a good symetrical and even shape,ime sure a log would have done the trick,but i cheated and used a length of drainage pipe.having gathered the ends to gether it was just a matter of spreading the upright sticks evenly.in order to facilitate an easy job not having hands full of thorns i used a 4000 year old flint 'thumb scraper' to scrape the thorns off.it worked realy well.
next was to start the weave,which realy was easy once i had worked out that the brambles bent so much easier once they were twisted! heres a pic (yes i know its on its side!!):
IMAG0203.jpg

and heres a pic of the body of the trap at 3/4 completion!
IMAG0223.jpg

and here my trusty assistant jack hol;ds the completed body of the trap!
IMAG0225.jpg

IMAG0226.jpg

but how to get the eels to stay trapped eh? i hear you say! well next is to fabricate a funnel with a hole in it to sit in the entrance of the trap! this way the eels can enter but canot get out!heres a pic of the funnel:
IMAG0230.jpg

IMAG0231.jpg

next i needed a way to affix a peg or weightto keep the trap in place so a simple loop was woven into the body of the trapp and then 2 loops were added to facilitate keeping the cone in place!
IMAG0232.jpg

once the loops were added the cone was fitted and a stick simply pushed through:
IMAG0233.jpg

and here it is the completed eel trap! took about 6 hours to make in all and cost nothing at all and is i believe the answer to a problem of how to catch eels , crayfish and fish the same as our ancestors would have! hope you are inspired to have a go!
IMAG0234.jpg

and heres the result of the last catch:

SignalCrayfishsupper006.jpg

SignalCrayfishsupper010.jpg

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Very nice work, very tastefully done :D
what bait did you use for the crayfish's ? I heard they used to use liver to go for eel's
Also which way does the trap sit, does the sharp end point up stream or down steam?
I think I heard once the archoelogist's found remains of very old iron age traps made of willow similar to what they use in estuaries for salmon nowadays (if there still allowed that is:rolleyes: )
cheers Jonathan:)

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
I think you do have to apply to the environment agency or something. They send you information and tags for your traps. The environment agency want you to catch the foreign crayfish though so i cant imagine there is any problem using a trap without consulting the environment agency first!

Thats just what i heard somewhere so take it with a pinch of salt.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
the lisence is free from the DEFRA website.as for bait most things work,sweetcorn,fish,chicken bone,dog biscuits,banana!
as for positioning it doesnt fealy matter unless using a larger one for fish then it needs to point up stream.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE