Wicca's new knife;

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
I hope he doesn't mind me posting this, i'm that pleased with it though I had to show someone!

Basicly, I put a thread up on here suggesting I make knives for people - pretty much to their spec and perhaps not quite perfect but at a reasonable price - I've not been doing it long and still have a lot to learn so I can't ask for a lot money wise. Wicca, pm'd me nearly straight away and I had his design within 48hours.

The difficult part was the brass bolster he wanted as I'e not done one of those yet, after alot of head scatching and essing about I soldered two big lumps of brass to the blank and to eachother (they're going nowhere!) Unfortunately that meant I had to file some solder off the blade and I'm ashamed to say I marked the blade slightly in doing so. Next I put oak scales on, if you look carefuly at the picture you'll see that I've still got a little sanding to do. I like the oak though, I think I'll use it on my next user.

I know it's not the clearist of pictures, but what do you think?

P211208_2012.jpg

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
looks promising, if a little rough around the edges, still a dman sight better than most of the stuff i was turning out until recently.

most important is that you enjoyed yourself and have made something useful

nice :D

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
lol, it's a lot nicer in than in the pic, for some reason I can't get a better picture of it though.

It's certainly useful, somehow I've managed to end up with a nasty cut on both thumbs!

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
this might be better;

P211208_204701.jpg

It doesn't look like it but the bolster IS flush with the scales on the sides, he wanted a defined bolster because he uses his knife in the wet a lot and doesn't want his hand to slip onto the blade. Like I said, i've got some finishing off to do but it looks good to me!

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Ha! you villain! what an excellent surprise NovembreRain. That looks absolutely ideal, can't wait to get my mitts on it now..:red:
I like to look at the fine examples of craftsmanship with exotic handles etc: that appear on the forum but I've never had any desire to own one. One of the best knives I ever owned was an old Lee Enfield bayonet,seriously cut down and doctored, unfortunately it didn't float..:eek: :D :D

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
:lmao: Glad you like it John. I think I'm all done so it'll be in the post at the first opportunity after tomorow.

Oh, on your design you've got "false edge" above the point, on the spine. Do you want a bevel on there (but not to a sharp edge), or are you happy as it is?

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Hiya Richard, If you could just put a bevel on that short bit of back edge where I marked it that will be great, thanks. Happy Yule mate and thanks for making it so swiftly, might just have to pack my gear and clear off for a few days field testing now..yeehaa! :D :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE