why pay that for a knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
boland magyar said:
red
i agree that to make your hobby into a buisness is hard, but it would be nice for alan or ray to give there reasons for there price of the knife so that these threads about the said knifes would stop once and for all.....you pay for what you get and its not the knife its the hands holding it that counts
boland

Neither Alan nor Ray have any say whatsoever on the second hand prices of these knives.

IMO it's the ebay prices that are silly,not the original price.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
BR,

The second hand prices are silly mate, my wife got me a WS micarta woodlore, which is my main user, for 95 quid, to me that was worth it, I definately would not pay an ebay price for one. I also have an Alan Wood, RM woodlore that I paid 195 pounds for about 4 years ago, I waited about 7 months for it, I like it but prefer the WS one, but the second hand prices are paid by those who want the name/knife but dont want the wait. If someone is willing to pay that for a knife or anything else I'm not that bothered and won't loose any sleep over it, each to there own.

Brian

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Brian, I agree - people pay over the odds to avoid the wait. Its a collectors market though, same as stamp collecting as mentioned earlier or antique china - hell thats still a cup and saucer when you come down to it. Most collectors spend more than they need to for the pleasure of owning something (you know, like owning two Woodies ;) :D).

Mostly what I was arguing with was the notion that such things are "overpriced". People clearly value them - whether for the notions of reflected glory, function, form or aesthetics I cannot say. I've never yet met a "rich" toolmaker is all I was saying - even the greats like Lee Reeves have to often do other work (Lee still does farrier work to turn a buck). You probably make more turning out factory knives from Buck or whoever. So long may the hand made craftsmen last say I and to Cegga, Stu Mitchell, Lee Reeves and the newer guys like Shinken, I say your stuff is worth every penny - jsut as much as an Alan Wood is. I love my Mora but there is a magic in craftsman made gear that really does have a value. To me Bushcraft is about the lost arts and real craftsmanship is one of those arts - its worth paying for!

Red

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Rebel said:
Using the car analogy I use the equivalent of a Ford Focus. ;)

I can't justify the expense, nor can I afford, the top of the range knives but I like to have something that offers a little bit more than the absolute basic no frills.

There are knives in the mid-range price that are good quality and aesthetically pleasing but not so expensive that I'm afraid to use them.

What IS the next step up from the "Mora training knife" without spending too much money?

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
anthonyyy said:
What IS the next step up from the "Mora training knife" without spending too much money?
how long is a piece of string?
each person will have a favourite knife, grind, handle
The answer is here

somewhere...

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
I once read some advice about ensuring that whatever you buy it must really appeal to you - you will be working with it for many years and you will forge a better bond if you find it aesthetically pleasing.
I guess that can apply to many things, knives, cars....wives.
I agree that there is a huge draw towards 'craftsman made' stuff, especially if, like me, you lack the skills to make it but appreciate the hard work involved.
Add to that 'natural materials' - bone, leather, wood, metals (sort of natural) which most of us are drawn towards,and you have items of great personal value.
A frost clipper or opinel will do the job, but I bet you feel great with a hand made custom job and your day will be better for it.

For the record my opinel no7 is my cheapest knife but its the one I carry most.

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
I have an Allan wood woodlore knife it cost £195 when i bought it
and i love it when i lived in the uk alot of my mates would spend £80 a night
on beer and fags all they would have for there money was a head ache.

If your not happy about the price dont buy one.

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
You're also forgetting the fact that purchasing something such as a woodlore knife if an INVESTMENT! In only a few more years it will be worth double, even triple what they paid. It's like buying into a piece of history. I'd be more than happy to invest that much in a knife if I knew it would be a sound investment. And no, it wouldn't ever feel the heat of a firesteel. And I'm also sure that Mr. Mears dosn't care less that a knife he designed isn't being used. He designed it for his own purposes, no one elses, and only made it available due to popular demand. And the money he makes from its reputation is probably quite considerable. And before any of you try and criticise him for 'selling out', there is not a single person on this website that would turn down the money he undoubtedly earns.

As for a user, go for whatever you want. Just don't criticise others for the choices they make.

big_daddy_merc

Forager
Apr 9, 2007
chesterfield
it's still sad that a good knife like that will never be used for what it was intended for, if someone bough a great masters painting for 100 million you'd still look at it and if someone bought a rare car it should still be driven

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
capacious said:
You're also forgetting the fact that purchasing something such as a woodlore knife if an INVESTMENT! In only a few more years it will be worth double, even triple what they paid. It's like buying into a piece of history. I'd be more than happy to invest that much in a knife if I knew it would be a sound investment. And no, it wouldn't ever feel the heat of a firesteel. And I'm also sure that Mr. Mears dosn't care less that a knife he designed isn't being used. He designed it for his own purposes, no one elses, and only made it available due to popular demand. And the money he makes from its reputation is probably quite considerable. And before any of you try and criticise him for 'selling out', there is not a single person on this website that would turn down the money he undoubtedly earns.

As for a user, go for whatever you want. Just don't criticise others for the choices they make.

As in most things these days,fashion plays a big part in prices.

It is quite possible that someone will pay out over £500 for an in vogue knife today,and find that they can't sell it for half that price in a couple of years.

"Shares can go down as well as up" as those poor sods with a dodgy company pension found out. :(

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
If someone wants to pay 250 quid for something that not that much better than one you could get for 50 quid then fair play to them.

I don't really care either way.

Its a bit like any hobby, even if the basic gear you need to do it only costs a fiver, theres always someone out there who puts all their disposable income into it and spends a fortune just cos thats their only interest.

On the other hand, the people who make this gear need to have a car, live in a house and eat just the same as the rest of us do.

Just supposing a knife maker makes one knife per day and sells them for £120 each, does anyone realise how much less money he is making than the average self employed hairy arsed plumber/tradesman?
Is he any less skilled than the plumber?
Why should the knifemaker sell his skills for any less than the averags tradesman?
When its all said and done if the bloke doesn't feel like he can make as much money (to feed his kids and other luxuries you understand) as the tradesman you lot don't think he will carry on making knives for people to just bung in the drawer just cos he loves it do you? No.
If he has got even the faintest bit of brains in his head he will change jobs and make more for himself.

Pay the bloke a decent wage and he will keep on doing it, don't pay him a decent wage and he will bugger off, thereby creating a skills shortage and then the people who want a fancy knife will have to pay through the nose anyway :D

swagman said:
I have an Allan wood woodlore knife it cost £195 when i bought it
and i love it when i lived in the uk alot of my mates would spend £80 a night
on beer and fags all they would have for there money was a head ache.

If your not happy about the price dont buy one.

Pretty much says it all for me spend your hard earned as you like it's not like theres that much of it left after Tax, Vat, fuel tax, poll tax, and everything else that you HAVE to pay for and get little if any pleasure from.
If you choose to invest in a 3 day hangover so be it, if you want to buy a top end bit of kit fair play
twopenneth well and truely thrown in Tim ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE