Which oil for leatherman hinge...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Which oil should I put on the tool hinges of my leatherman. I was going to put some 3 in 1 on but I find that it's a little sticky and attracts grit which in this instance would be very counterproductive.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Will

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Get some of that dry-lube that you use on guns. Doesn't attract grit and debris. Although to be honest, I never oil my Wave and it's eight years old and I use it constantly. Still as good as new.

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Get some of that dry-lube that you use on guns. Doesn't attract grit and debris. Although to be honest, I never oil my Wave and it's eight years old and I use it constantly. Still as good as new.

Haven't got any of that in the house atm...anything that would be found around? Vegetable oil?

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
A watchmaker friend of mine used to recommend hanging clocks and watches in a closed container with a little oil or paraffin at the bottom. The idea was that a little of the vapour would condense on the metal parts and lubricate them. If applying oil directly is a problem that might be worth a try. Having said that I use 3-in-1 for most small tools, for my multi-tools I wipe as much of it off as I can after cleaning and oiling them and I don't really have a problem with dirt being attracted by the lubricant. I suppose a lot will depend on where and how you use the tools. If you work in a particularly dirty environment you might just need to get used to the idea that you're going to have to do more housework. :(

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I use a silicon based gunoil on my kit, I find it lubricates stuff well making it smooth and if you wipe most of it off will not attract dirt, you can also use silicon based bike oils as well, used on chains and stuff but attract a lot less dirt but provide good lubrication and protection to things.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE