Which John Seymour Book?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spoonman

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 14, 2007
Loch Garman
Hi

I cannot choose from john seymours new complete guide and his concise guide. Can anyone offer more information or advice on which might be the better of the two?

regards

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The new complete guide without a doubt - a large format (A4 but wider) hardbook book and the absolute seminal work on self sufficiency.

As described - a great book for practical use or just dreaming

You won't regret it

Red

deeps

Forager
Dec 19, 2007
Monmouthshire
Hi

I cannot choose from john seymours new complete guide and his concise guide. Can anyone offer more information or advice on which might be the better of the two?

regards

Personally I would get the book(s) from the library read it/them and save your cash. They dip into many subjects and are good for getting a few ideas. However it is more dreamer/coffee table material than text book.

(Comments based on having bought a (complete) copy for my wife ! )

spoonman

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 14, 2007
Loch Garman
Thank you for your comments.

In addition is there anything in the concise guide that would not be covered in the complete version?

Jan 22, 2006
uk
buy the big version! For the sake of a few quid it could save you loads...details are so important.

I have the new complete guide, its excellent. As Red says its a great read for practical advice or for the occaisional fireside dream!

support the likes of John Seymour I say!!

cheers

Sisyphus

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2009
north east scotland
the original 70's edition "complete self sufficiency" is brilliant, as has been said it's far from concise, but gives you a great introduction to so many topics it does the job of inspiring and putting you on the path towards trying your hand at all sorts of things. It's certainly more informative (and better illustrated) than RM's "outdoor survival handbook" :p

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Just to add that I had the 70s version for ages but lent it to someone and haven't seen it since.

Just recently my wife has bought the New Complete Guide and its everything I remembered and more, an excellent book.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Get hold of the Complete Guide to Self Sufficiency, it's not a dreamer or coffee able book if you use it. Whoever says that obviously hasn't read it properly or isn't into self sufficiency

spoonman

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 14, 2007
Loch Garman
Thanks for your help everyone. I was in my local book shop Saturday and picked up my copy of the new complete version. I can't wait to get stuck into it. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE