Where to go?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 11, 2005
Hi all,

Newbie here, but the forum looks cool :)

I don't have much experience, but I'd like to go somewhere with a couple of friends, I was thinking Scotland. It has to be easy to get to by train, (driving isn't possible :( )
and an area where we can set up tent/camp no more than 6/7 hours walk away from the station, and not too harsh, as we don't have too much experience, so can't be 'too' far away from civilization at the moment.

If anyone knows where we could go, set up a small camp fire, cook some food, sleep for a couple of nights, that would be great!

Thanks.

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Aviemore is a good place to start looking, or Fort William. Good train links (well, Train links) and plenty of walks and camping places to be found. Both towns are tourist and hillwalker friendly too. Might as well hit Ben Nevis if you go to Fort William. It's practically in their back gardens!

Sep 11, 2005
ahh, good point!

I'd be travelling from either Liverpool, or Manchester....either of them is fine to get to.

ilovemybed- I'll have a look at the places you said, and see what they're like :)

Thanks!

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Now then that’s better,:) from where you are and that you say you’re not too experienced I would suggest

1. You take a stove and a portable bbq and have an open fire as a bonus if you find a site that will let you have a fire if not the bbq will have to do and you can always put a bit of wood on it to keep it going.;)

2. The Lakes, The Dales, North Wales, are not too far from you and there are some lovely places to stop, campsites and wild camps .[I’m not going to encourage you to brake the law or the mods will tell me off so I won't mention anymore wild camping]:rolleyes:

So my tip would be decide on your area buy a map and start looking for places to stay on the map, on the net and from the local tourist places, that are within walking distance of your chosen station. All the places I’ve mentioned are quite close to your home so if the worst should happen and something goes wrong not that it will it just could it’s not too big a job to get your self home in an hour or so.

Then go chill with your friends and have a good time and get out in the great outdoors oh and do some bushcraft:D

Hope your trip goes well any more questions just ask :)

James

Sep 11, 2005
Hi, we've already done the lakes etc, and really wanted to go to Scotland, for somewhere a bit different...more experience hiking/mountaineering than bushcraft, but hopefully that's soon to change.

I'll order a map in a couple of days and have a look around, and might even try Ben Nevis like you say! I'm hoping to get my MLA within the next year so that's sure to help!

Thanks, and I'll keep looking!

Sep 11, 2005
Fort William is definately something for the future! But it's starting to get colder out now :p so I'm looking around wales, specifically Snowdonia....does anyone have anywhere to recommend camping (wild camping? lol), or good cheap campsites/hostels? It doesnt have to be Snowdonia, just anywhere in North/mid wales....

Thanks

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Have a look here

Snowdonia.jpg

LlynGwynant.gif

Don't know about fires here has I haven't been for a while was good the last time we went,

there are also a couple of site near Capel Curig but not got any info at the moment

James

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE