When a bow is a little to big to carry

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
I've just come across this YouTube Video. Thought some of you hunter types might like it. Slingshot to a bow in a minute
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGIcCRJGYug&feature=channel
:eek:

For what it's worth, Dave Canterbury -- the guy in this video -- is well liked here in the states.

Every now and then he starts to veer into the wackier side of survivialism (not survival, survivalism, which is a special form of paranoid American madness...)

However, happily, just as Canterbury starts flirting with the fringe he sets himself right and returns to the land of the sane.

Once he's not on the fringe, he's basically a really affable, enthusiastic guy who has some interesting videos. I always get a kick out of him -- he reminds me of those great country boys I grew up with -- and I recommend his videos to everyone.

Plus, I think his slingshot arrow idea is pretty interesting. I'm going to give it try one of these days.

As a bow hunter, I'm not convinced with his "it'll kill a deer in a hearbeat" line, but for a hunting tool that will fit in your pocket -- it would certainly kill small game -- there's merit to his idea. And who knows, with theraband gold bands on the slingshot, you might be able to get the draw weight up there.... The handle might get hard to hold, though...

For those keeping score, Canterbury was one of the biggest exponents of the crazy Tom Brown Tracker Knife, but he eventually saw the light on that one :)

smallholder

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2009
Cornwall
Very good and clever idea.

Don't forget its against the law in the UK to shoot any live quarry with an arrow from a bow, crossbow, slingshot or anything else for that matter.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
For what it's worth, Dave Canterbury -- the guy in this video -- is well liked here in the states.

Every now and then he starts to veer into the wackier side of survivialism (not survival, survivalism[/ii], which is a special form of paranoid American madness...)

However, happily, just as Canterbury starts flirting with the fringe he sets himself right and returns to the land of the sane.

Once he's not on the fringe, he's basically a really affable, enthusiastic guy who has some interesting videos. I always get a kick out of him -- he reminds me of those great country boys I grew up with -- and I recommend his videos to everyone.

Plus, I think his slingshot arrow idea is pretty interesting. I'm going to give it try one of these days.

As a bow hunter, I'm not convinced with his "it'll kill a deer in a hearbeat" line, but for a hunting tool that will fit in your pocket -- it would certainly kill small game -- there's merit to his idea. And who knows, with theraband gold bands on the slingshot, you might be able to get the draw weight up there.... The handle might get hard to hold, though...

For those keeping score, Canterbury was one of the biggest exponents of the crazy Tom Brown Tracker Knife, but he eventually saw the light on that one :)

Apparently he's making a series for Discovery (so one of his snippets says)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Wow, we used to do that as kids in the early eighties after watching Robin of Sherwood. Didn't use a split ring but a wooden dowel with a notch in, wedged between the fork of a Black Widow. It is really powerful if you use long arows and something better than the standard elastic.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
It's a very old method of hunting. We used it as kids a long long time ago after watching scuba divers using 'rubber' powered spear guns. I confess I preferred my bow but that's because it was a lot more powerful (we didn't have a good source of 'elastic' in North Africa in the 60s).

Broch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE