Whats in your fire Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Hi all,

Looking to put together a better fire kit and wondered what others have in thiers.

I have 2 types of kit Modern and Traditional. But at the moment just thinking about improving my Modern setup.

Currently i have the following in my kit.

Firesteel
Lighter
MOD Matches
Normal Matches
Tampons
vaseline
a small bit of rubber
a few Greenheat

I am planning to fit it into a Decontamination box.

Any advice is welcome and feel free to put up pics if possible,

Cheers

T

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I have pretty much the same as you. I think that covers most scenarios to be honest. I have quite a bit of rubber innertube in mine and two lighters.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Don't put the rubber inside the box, slide it over the outside then you'll have more room for other bits. Also work the vaseline into some cotton wool balls, easier to strike onto and burn for longer in that combination

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Couple of lighters, firesteel and a pocket full of individually wrapped zip firelighters.

If I'm going to carry in prepared tinder, synthetics like innertube, green heat and cotton wool / vaseline, I figure I might was well just go the whole hog.

Don't get me wrong, I've used everything from prawn crackers to olive oil soaked linen fibres. But these days, I prefer to carry in "failsafe" tinder and use what I find in the field - with a safe backup.

Red

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
pretty basic i'm afraid

firesteel (on sheath) and jet lighter (in pocket)

flint and steel with some charcloth if I fancy 'playing'

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I have a nice little tinder box, that i have some rubber dam(dental pure latex) flint and steel somw sizle and amadu, its got a little lens set in the top too, I also have a bic lighter and a ferro rod, the latex is super burny but doesent drip like rubber, it even smells nice, havent tried lightitng from a ferro though, it is very thin, ill give it ago when i find it!!

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
I carry my fire kit in a leather drawstring pouch i made.
I have various bits wrapped in waterproof zip lock bags to keep it dry.
The contents varies but includes:
Charcloth
"Black bear" (Came with my fire piston)
Hexi
Silver Birch bark
Cotton wool
Tumble Dryer Lint
Rubber (An old perished inner tube)
Birds nest
Bits of dried bark and such like I have collected that works well
Cramp Ball

And to light it:
Zippo
Ferro Rod
Flint and Steel
Fire Piston
Friction methods I construct in the field

BarryG

Nomad
Oct 30, 2007
NorthWest England
depend where im going and what the weathers like.

Generally when out & about i carry:
Ferro rod
Maya stick
Disposable Lighter

I also have & sometimes use any of these items:
Cramp balls
Rubber from a tyre inner-tube
Trad' flint & Steel
Char cloth
Bow & Drill Set
Magnifying glass
Pot Potass & Anti freeze.

When outside i keep it in a XXsmall dry bag. One day I'll invest in a leather pouch maybe.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon

pic 1 has got my jacket fire kit in it, it never leaves it, it contains:-

1/2 maya stick
cotton wool
toilet roll
rizla papers
flint & striker
matches
sure fire / wetfire (this stuffs great it looks and cuts like stira phome lights from a spark when wet even in a puddle)

pic 2 is where it goes.
i also carry tinder bag of dry moss, the large leather pouch.
tin with flint char cloth and piece of old file, the round tin.
and tinder pouch with moss grass and tinder fungus.

my fero rod alwaysgoes on my belt loop with a blade on my bely and in my pocket.

regards.

chris....................

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
A couple of hexi blocks, fire steel, charcloth, innertube, tinder, and a spark gun i use at work, for lighting Cutting gear.

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
spa0285y.jpg

This thing, works pretty good too

Rumi

Forager
Pretty simple really..

fire.JPG

Firesteel
Multitool with pliers, knife, saw and thing for getting stones out of my hoofs :)

Crampball
Dry Red Cedar bark
Carving shavings
Hemp and nettle fibre match

The rest I find in the field

Last edited:

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
As well as having a Dragon's Breath - the kit, not the halitosis...

I carry;

* The wee green pocket sized aloe vera vaseline tin (it's good for cuts n scratches).
* Cotton wool/tampons - gripping the "mouse tail" between my teeth means I can get it to light at chest level.
* "Steel" wool/kitchen scrubby - cut up into smaller balls.
* A "flint" and part hacksaw blade (like the one in Lannyman's pic) that I've had and used since 1986.
* A wee packet of birch bark.

Any cigarette lighters are kept with my tobacco. I collect tinder etc as I go - I may not need it but it'll be with me when I do.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I'm with Red all the way on this one, I don't like to mess about. I don't see what's wrong with petrol. :)

My survival kit contains a can of lighter fluid and I will always have a bottle of meths with me too, it's the cleanest and most convenient way to light my petrol stove. Here's my latest meths bottle, £3.50p from Oxfam. :) :campfire:

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I'm with Red all the way on this one, I don't like to mess about. I don't see what's wrong with petrol. :)

My survival kit contains a can of lighter fluid and I will always have a bottle of meths with me too, it's the cleanest and most convenient way to light my petrol stove. Here's my latest meths bottle, £3.50p from Oxfam. :) :campfire:

No milk?

If you're drinking the meths (to stave off the chill obviously) aren't you supposed to mix and drink it with milk?

Well, that's what Locum76 and JonathanD do...

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...aren't you supposed to mix and drink it with milk?

Well, that's what Locum76 and JonathanD do...

I didn't think you were supposed to drink it, but if it's good enough for them...

Actually at the duty-free supermarkets in Andorra you can get 99% alcohol for cooking at about five quid a litre. I got some to try for camping but it seems to have all gone. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE