What does a Bird Think When it Looks at You?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, thats difficult.

Penguins evidently see something thats like them, as we have a similar body.

The crested penguins may attack a human on their territory.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
"Johney come lately"

On average birds have the largest brains in comparison to body size. They are very very clever, but then again they had 50 million years head start on the mammals!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There is an "unkindness" of a dozen Ravens which appears at my end of the village
where there's extreme cold or deep snow. Those are the only circumstances when
I will put out something for them (dry dog food, dry bread crust.) They watch my body
motions, they seem to comprehend that my actions will result in food for them.
Particularly when I shovel a long space in the deep snow.

Then there's a whole bunch of whooping and hollering and jumping up and down to sort out the
peck-order dominance. Then they eat it all. The big bird goes first.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
On average birds have the largest brains in comparison to body size. They are very very clever, but then again they had 50 million years head start on the mammals!

Really? Define clever? In the context of...for example....pheasants....as opposed to say...squirrels. I'm referring to birds who are so stupid they are confused by the concept of ...a fence...as opposed to the acrobatics a creature a fifth of their size goes through to raid bird feeders.

I would love to see a decent scientific paper that supports the theory that
birds have the largest brains in comparison to body size

Would you link to some sources please?

The reason I ask is that this graph

7_13.gif

Published in this Harvard paper

https://www.cfa.harvard.edu/~ejchaisson/cosmic_evolution/docs/text/text_cult_3.html

Says that you are wrong. Specifically it states that

As noted in Table 7-1 the creature having the largest brain-to-body-mass ratio is Homo sapiens, namely, ~0.022. Dolphins come next (~0.016, which is also the value for H. habilis), followed by the apes, especially the chimpanzees (~0.006). The human brain is about as big as the genes can currently make it and still be safely delivered during childbirth—3 or 4 times bigger, relative to body weight, than the brains of our closest relatives, the great apes. These are data, not sociological sentiments

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Aah well on that basis, I don't speak rock. So lets not underestimate the cleverness of a good flint nodule ;)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well they certainly have the benefit of experience.

Indeed - they also fail to enter a trap based on the motivation that another of their type has already decided to do so. Which makes them streets ahead of the average corvid who as the Larsen trap repeatedly proves, do so with a monotonous, stupid, regularity:)

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Indeed - they also fail to enter a trap based on the motivation that another of their type has already decided to do so. Which makes them streets ahead of the average corvid who as the Larsen trap repeatedly proves, do so with a monotonous, stupid, regularity:)
Indeed. But they don't routinely make substances they know are bad for them, ingest said substances, then slowly kill themselves very painfully and expensively either.... but humans do.

They don't exploit the planet to a degree that will impact there own species long term survival prospects... but humans do.

They don't work from dawn to dusk so they can buy things to take their minds off the fact they work from dawn to dusk

Humans do.

They don't create elaborate reasons for their existence to seperate themselves from the rest of the animal Kingdom...

Or do they?

Again I don't speak rock, or Crow.

Last edited:
Thank you, British Red, for posting that interesting graph and the accompanying text. I enjoyed reading it.

We shouldn't risk belaboring the point.

Several animals express some level of "intelligence" when they solve problems in their environment. And we can certainly observe and learn from their behaviors. But I suspect that when discussing comparative intelligence, Humans will always come out on top.

After all, who is conducting the study?... :)

- Woodsorrel

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They don't exploit the planet to a degree that will impact there own species long term survival prospects... but humans do.

Yes, they do. They breed up, feed like crazy and are only restricted by their ability to survive.

They are clever enough though to not feed those of their species too indolent to feed themselves - which may support your point.

They don't work from dawn to dusk so they can buy things to take their minds off the fact they work from dawn to dusk

No, they are too stupid to have time for social lives - theirs is simply a struggle to survive

They don't create elaborate reasons for their existence to seperate themselves from the rest of the animal Kingdom...

Or do they?

I have extensive series of photos that show them attacking other bird species on sight, so yes, they do certainly separate themselves.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well now, we have evolved sufficiently to establish an agricultural infrastructure. The industrialisation of that agricultural infrastructure has created, in the round, sufficient time for our species to have time for pursuits of both an intellectual and leisure nature.

I would define "stupid" as using the same number of millennia to spend time, as a species, eating carrion and dodging oncoming vehicles.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
We're entirety dependant on the infrastructure we've created. A dolphin doesn't need a road, or a house to survive. Stupid is entirely relative. As wood sorrel said it all comes down to who's doing the measuring. If we go on which species is the best at surviving then were a pretty stupid species compared to say a jelly fish.

Yeah we know a lot of stuff. But at the end of the day how useful is that stuff we know? Agriculture had been the death of many civilisations but we never learn from our mistakes 'long term'.

We're nothing special. We can just pass on our knowledge which gives us an edge over say, a Bonobo. But the Bonobo doesn't care it's to busy having. .... a social life.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Well, that argument can come back to,

"I'm quite sure a rock is happy being a rock"

Precisely. It an entirely philosophical argument. But we equate intelligence with humanity so we will always win. However perhaps as a species we're no more or less intelligent than any other based on observation of external success criteria.

Length of time on the planet
Ability to survive and thrive in a multitude of environments
Numbers of individuals
Ability to adapt

Say hello to Mr cockroach.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE