What do you put under your bivi bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I'm going to be going out camping for the first time in a tarp and bivi set up soon, and I was wondering if you put anything underneath the bivi to stop it touching the floor?

It doesn't seem like a good idea to me to have it right on the floor in case of sharp things or wearing a hole though it

..or am I just worrying too much?

Cheers!

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
It should be fine in terms of damage. But a poncho or plastic survival bag as a groundsheet are useful in wet weather.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
put your sleeping mat under it, not in it, that's a personal choice though (i use a simple foam mat that doesn't suffer damage)

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
It should be fine in terms of damage. But a poncho or plastic survival bag as a groundsheet are useful in wet weather.
The survival bag idea isn't bad, I'll check out some prices for that. Thanks.

put your sleeping mat under it, not in it, that's a personal choice though (i use a simple foam mat that doesn't suffer damage)
I think I'd rather have my matt inside my bivi. It's a self inflatable one so I'm not sure how tough it will be.

I use one of the orange space blankets
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/All-Weath...664?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2579d75740
fold it in half with silver side up and down, this helps reflect some body heat and the orange side becomes an emergency signal. They can be used as a reflector behind a fire( not too close though) and an emergency tarp.
These looks pretty good! How small do they fold up? Space is a bit of an issue because I only have a 30L bag and a 70L bag, and I don't like hauling the huge bag around just for an overnighter.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Have a look in the 99p shop / Poundland etc

They usually have some emergency shelters in there although I think the ones they have at the minute are the silver ones. They are big though.

I got a green one that I cut in half and it now measures about 8' x 6'. Bit of gaffa tape on the corners and 2/3rds across (for different tarp width set ups)

I made up a little bag for it and the toggle is a little piece of ally tube with about 1' of gaffer tape wrapped around it to take care of rips. I've also got 4 x 2' lengths of shock cord with cord locks in it to attach the ground sheet to the tarp stakes if required.

Total weight - 156g

gs1.jpggs2.jpggs3.jpg

or there's always Tyvec or something similar

Last edited:

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
The survival bag idea isn't bad, I'll check out some prices for that. Thanks.

I think I'd rather have my matt inside my bivi. It's a self inflatable one so I'm not sure how tough it will be.

These looks pretty good! How small do they fold up? Space is a bit of an issue because I only have a 30L bag and a 70L bag, and I don't like hauling the huge bag around just for an overnighter.

Not the smallest but they do fold flat and have eyelets at each corner.
I like these for the fact that were going out, sometimes into remote places and they are nice and bright if ever we need to be found. Yes it's nice to be out of sight but when it comes down to it if anything happens I like to give myself the best chance.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If I'm bivvying (rare) I don't have anything under mine, my mat goes inside the bivvy and the bivvy goes on the ground.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
What to put under my bivvy?

the ground!

Facetious but I've always been ok. Check the ground before you set up but I guess a cheap CCF under is also one option I choose occasionally.

If yopu use a tent wildcamping do you take a groudsheet? If not then why take one with a bivvy and tarp. A tent is more expensive than a bivvy.

Mat in a bivvy... Make sure it doesn't flatten the bivvy so it compresses the sleeping bag. You can lose efficiency of the bag that way. I used to use as Thermarest (TAR) that way but now I use a CCF outside or inside depending on how I feel and how windy it could be. A cut down CCF mat inside is more efficient than outside I feel.

Anyway pick your spot and it doesn't matter if you use anything under the bivvy IME. Certainly if you are a fussy pitcher. I find I just keep walking until I find a better spot if the ground is too stony or if it has too much prickly vegetation for my liking.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I usually at least put a sheet of polythene on the ground just to keep the bag clean in case I've missed a pile of droppings when setting up in the dark. The polythene sheets are scrap packaging and weigh a few tens of grammes.

If the ground is likely to have thorns or sharp objects I give it a once over before putting the sheet down then smooth it down to see if anythiing snags it. It's a lot cheaper to replace than a bivvy bag or groundsheet, and a few snags don't matter anyway.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
My main bivy is a custom made PHD sleeping bag cover so my mat goes under it

If I was to use my Dpm army bivy bag then mat inside and bag straight in the floor

Just did a quick check. My Sleeping mat does fit inside my bivi with my bag, but it makes it very tight and I'm not sure if that will affect the loft of it. So looks like my mat is going underneath my bivi! I like the idea of just a polythene sheet that'll fold up small and weigh next to nothing.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Foam block archery targets do not work well under a bivvy bag, suprisingly hard. Best rest is a folding fisherman's bed with bivvy on top in open air, looks odd but my favourite. Otherwise nothing or foam mat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE