What breed(s) is my dog?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
Just before Christmas we got ourselves a new dog from a local rescue center called Dennis. He court our eye strait away because he looked so different and he's very cute. He was a stray so we don't know what breed he is, on the information we got with him hes down as a cairn cross and a couple of people have said hes a cairn as soon as they've seen him but we cant see it at all. We've looked at lots of photos on the web and my Mum's Nan kept cairns but we cant see any similarity's :confused: .

We both think hes at least half corgi. What do you guys think? Are we just not seeing something?

Heres a pic I found on the web of a Cardiganshire Corgi witch is the closest match we found to are Dennis

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
His fur is very Cairn, and he has a terrier head. His tail is too long and he is a bit scrawny. However our Cairn was like that when we got him from the RSPCA too. Now he has bulked up.

I'd say he is a cross, but I suspect the apparently overlarge head is because his body needs to bulk out - which it will do now that he has proper owners/

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
Meant to add that I think he's been trimmed too - probably to remove knots in his coat. The fur around his shoulders is much longer (actually we keep ours trimmed because if we didn't it would reach the ground and he gets too hot.) He'll look more Cairn once his fur is more even.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
flippin ell! Thats Spooky!! I liberated/rescued a dog "Exactly" like that from the Gyppo's near me my friend has him now, they are decendants of lurchers and terriers left to breed amongs them selves id put hard cash that came from the same place they are Identical! I would have kept him but he didnt get on with my 4, he was a demon in the brambles and loved to hunt he will make a goot little bushing dog.
This is him once he put some weight back on, not to good pictures but if you see him in the street you would think its yours, expecially when his ears are cocked up. bit more white on the chest of scampy though.
scamp3.jpg

Scamp1.jpg

hes a cracker by the way

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
I love those little folded over ears. My Manchester cross has them, and they are just so cute! Cairns on the other hand have huge stand up things.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Ive seen the Dogs on the site btw and they breed whippet/grehound + collie/ mongrel looking dogs hard working dogs and the terriers look like border / lakie / jack russel all heinz 57 jobs, but they do the job in hand apparently, or the pykies would like you to think so their daags are always the best workers :rolleyes:

Heres my 3 terriers last summer just out of interest.
Tribe016.jpg

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
Meant to add that I think he's been trimmed too - probably to remove knots in his coat. The fur around his shoulders is much longer (actually we keep ours trimmed because if we didn't it would reach the ground and he gets too hot.) He'll look more Cairn once his fur is more even./

He hasn't been trimmed, thats his natural look. We've had him 3 months or so now and he hasn't changed a bit (apart from putting a little wait on). In fact he's already shedding hare allover the place and we get a small mountain of the stuff every time we brush him.

flippin ell! Thats Spooky!! I liberated/rescued a dog "Exactly" like that from the Gyppo's near me my friend has him now, they are decendants of lurchers and terriers left to breed amongs them selves id put hard cash that came from the same place they are Identical! I would have kept him but he didnt get on with my 4, he was a demon in the brambles and loved to hunt he will make a goot little bushing dog.

Well that looks and sounds like our Dennis down to a tea, he's a terror for sticking his nose into thing's (luckily his outer coat is very course and stiff, it's almost like Teflon he can go into the middle of a huge bush be rustling around for ages and come out looking like he's just been groomed) and we've already had to stop him from hunting our chickens, he does it like a natural.

He would be a grate bushing dog if I could trust him not to run off and never come back (he's already tried twice), but he also gets very ankchus if I tie him up even if I'm only feet away. I'm hoping that with some training and a lot of love he will settle down and we can go off tramping the countryside together .

Thanks for all your replies :D .

P.S. he was actually found as a stray in Northern Ireland and brought over here to be re homed , apparently they have far too many unwanted dogs in Northern Ireland.

WilS

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 3, 2008
North Wales
I agree with Mirius, defintely lots of cairn in there, just needs some happy living and loving. Good on you, all the best with him. :)
Will.

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
I'd say definately Cairn. The coat is definately Cairn terrier. The tail and muzzle are more elongated than a Cairn though. Corgi is a possibility though the tails looks more like a Jack Russel. I'm betting the coat feels as though there are two different layers with the top one really rather more stiff than the shorter softer undercoat.

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
id say cairn but his eyes look like a stafffordshire bull terrier.see if he can hang off things with his teeth to see if he has got stafi in him ,my staffi cross can dangle off a rope swing for ages.then he lets go and waits to be put back up to dangle

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
I'm betting the coat feels as though there are two different layers with the top one really rather more stiff than the shorter softer undercoat.

Yes, his outer coat is extremely stiff and cores and his undercoat is very fine, soft and almost white in color.

id say cairn but his eyes look like a stafffordshire bull terrier.see if he can hang off things with his teeth to see if he has got stafi in him ,my staffi cross can dangle off a rope swing for ages.then he lets go and waits to be put back up to dangle

He can certainly hang by his teeth from a rope toy but so could my granddads Corgis apparently. He could carry them around by getting them to bite on a broom handle.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I'd agree with the comments above. A good dollop of Cairn in that one by the look.

We had a Cairn that was a devil for chasing anything that would move, from hedgehogs that he would pick up and carry around in his mouth, to horses and riders that he would chase over the horizon.

I'd be very careful about letting him off the lead.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Have you tried asking him......?

I thought Cairn terrier and Jack Russell when I saw him..
He has a lovely face.. Please can you put up a photo of him in a few months time when he has filled out a bit...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I am strangely reminded of Dog, Adam's pet in Terry Pratchett's "Good Omens" :D

Supposed to be a Hellhound but in fact a very happy mutt :)

Your Dennis looks like a hedge backwards burrowing, investigating sort of dog :cool:
I think there's a bit of more than a few terriers in him, and Paganwolf's lurchery/ terrrier type mix kind of fits the bill for what I know of the local rabbiting dogs.

cheers,
Toddy

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
I'd agree with the comments above. A good dollop of Cairn in that one by the look.

We had a Cairn that was a devil for chasing anything that would move, from hedgehogs that he would pick up and carry around in his mouth, to horses and riders that he would chase over the horizon.

I'd be very careful about letting him off the lead.

He's already found a hedgehog in the garden, it was a bit too big for him to pick up but if it wasn't I'm shore he would have done.

I surtanly never let him off the lead. He's slipped out of my hand a couple of times when I've been trying to pick up some of his mess and I've only court up when he stopped to talk to another dog.

But I've started using a 15m length of cheep para cord attached to his harness so he can run around and poke his nose into everything without running off.

Have you tried asking him......?

I thought Cairn terrier and Jack Russell when I saw him..
He has a lovely face.. Please can you put up a photo of him in a few months time when he has filled out a bit...

Certainly, I'll put some more pics up now and in a few months if I remember :eek:

I am strangely reminded of Dog, Adam's pet in Terry Pratchett's "Good Omens" :D

Supposed to be a Hellhound but in fact a very happy mutt :)

Your Dennis looks like a hedge backwards burrowing, investigating sort of dog :cool:
I think there's a bit of more than a few terriers in him, and Paganwolf's lurchery/ terrrier type mix kind of fits the bill for what I know of the local rabbiting dogs.

cheers,
Toddy

I really get what you mean about Dog, hadn't thought of it before but it really fits. Specially when he hasn't been brushed for a while his main stands up and he looks like a real hairy little terrier. Dennis is definitely the right name for him.

Thanks for all you're replies :D . Here are some more photos of the little terror.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE