What are you supposed to do??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lodian

Nomad
May 23, 2007
Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
Was unpacking my kit from camping at the weekend, and had a little thought.

When I was out I used an openfronted small lean-to type shelter.
With a proper sized long log fire. Most of the log where about 1.5 meter long but as its a mainly pine forest the wood burns quite quickly.

Anyway I put the fire out as usual stopped stocking early and well doused it. But I left the soild as it was?

In one of RM'S vids he doesnt say what he does to discard whats left of his Long log fire.
Is it ok enough to leave the soil like that? I do use that pit everytime or should I have scattered the ashes?

TIA

Lodian

jameshs

Oct 23, 2007
London
IMHO

After several thorough dousings with plenty of water.....
burnt remains (if there are any) are scattered - larger pieces left standing char side up (spread around through)
more dousing onto the fire pit and dig in a few inches with a stick - more dousing to check that roots etc are not alight
distibute the mud pie that results
check the temp of the fire pit until cold
infill pit and lightly sweep area to leave no trace

ideally do this after each trip even if it is a regular location as the dousing of the roots is important - and nothing looks worse than a fire pit!

James

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE