What animals (wildlife) have you seen today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jonboy83

Forager
Nov 2, 2011
Wales
Fox
2 buzzards
Red Kite
A grey squirrel who watched me cooking my breakfast
some kind of weevil, tried taking a photo but my camera is not good enough.

and as I got in through the front door an hour ago, there was a dragon and 3 wailing banshees, now I bet no one else has seen that today :) :)

Turnstone

Nomad
Apr 9, 2013
Germany
Visiting my parents this weekend I saw several ring-necked parakeets and a coypu. Both are not really native in Germany, but there we have them for about 20 years. I once saw the parakreets building a nest while it was still snowing. A strange view!

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I just watched an amazing aerial dogfight between a family of 5 or 6 magpies and a sparrowhawk. It only lasted a couple of minutes but the magpies were trying to mob the little hawk and it was just flying rings around them, if they got close it would just twist and accelerate and suddenly they'd be facing a fast moving pair of talons. It was like that last battle in Topgun :cool:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Saw some grouse , hares , rabbits and a weasel/ stoat ( not 100% which one ) the other day in the Cheviots :).

Turnstone

Nomad
Apr 9, 2013
Germany
Not really what I have seen, but I just realized that I haven't seen the swifts for quite a while. Seems they are already gone, autumn is approaching!

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Took a very nice walk along the cornish coast path yesterday and saw my first ever pod of Dolphins!! Watched them for ages as they surfaced and just moved around out to sea a ways..such an amazing experience for me :)

Turnstone

Nomad
Apr 9, 2013
Germany
I haven't seen many roe deer during the summer. They seem to hide in the forests and fields, and you see them only at dusk or dawn. So I was very pleased to see roe deer on my way to work today, grazing at the edge of a forest in the middle of the day! Saw a gray heron, too, and lots of starlings that come together for their winter migration.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Driving into work around half seven this morning I saw a small Kestrel hovering above the hedgerow next to the road, leaving work at four o'clock this aft I saw another Kestrel in exactly the same place, most likely the same bird.

Turnstone

Nomad
Apr 9, 2013
Germany
Yesterday a grey heron was flying by, just a few metres from my window. I live in the middle of the city (but with lots of green around), so it was a special sight!

Today on a very short walk around the block I discovered a mouse. Not sure what it was exactly, but after running off into cover I disvovered it and could watch it for a moment!

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
Did you mean dead or alive? I saw a dead Virginia Whitetail Deer this morning on the parkway. But that isn't so unusual. I see many. This is just outside Washington, DC. Deer are considered a nuisance around here because of their numbers, though I suspect the deer have their own idea of what constitutes a nuisance. But I see many live ones, too, though not along the parkway. I see them from the kitchen window, the living room window and around here at work, too. However, I do not see them regularly but rather will have a lot of sightings over a short period of, say, a week, then none for several weeks. I sometimes see them where I walk in the woods but I always see their tracks. It seems like they're just up ahead of me somewhere. I once saw a fawn curled up in the middle of the trail, too, but just that one time. There are beaver, though not many, and they're very difficult to see. Foxes are, too, but I've seen several (or one fox several times) recently. I see hawks with some frequency as I drive but I have to be looking for them. What kind of hawks they are I haven't the slightest idea.

I figure it's only a matter of time before I start seeing lions and bears.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Just spotted a Herron at the back of us
pyjujenu.jpg
sorry about the poor picture but thought I would share.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
Same dead deer still there this morning. Supposedly the road kill deer are picked up and the meat used in shelters if it isn't too mangled but I think some private citizens are not above helping themselves. Someone has to clean them up sooner or later. But the county won't do anything if it expires on private property.

One day a couple of years ago on a day just about like today, someone knocked on our door in the afternoon to inform us there was an injured deer on the lawn beside the house and that they had already called animal control. There was indeed an injured deer. I think it had two broken hips but by the time animal control showed up, it had managed to get across a fence and was lying down about ten yards away. The officer who showed up was a young woman about my daughter's age. She killed it with two shots from a .22 rimfire rifle but not before the animal had gone another ten yards. Then she went off and left it there in the creek behind the house. That would never do, so I dragged it to a place where I could at least cover it up with leaves. Most of the exposed carcass was eaten within the following two weeks but everything else is still right where I left it. It was too cold for it to decay and smell. I suppose it would have been a good opportunity to study whitetail deer anatomy but my wife would have had a fit.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Apart from a few upside down drookit crows and a couple of dejected dogs plodding about after their owners not a not - has been torrential rain and pretty gusty wind here today. I'm still not dry.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE