What animals (wildlife) have you seen today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Not today but yesterday (apologies for the tardiness), I woke up with a Squirrel sitting on the ridgeline of my tarp (which was pretty cool), and then shortly afterwards got buzzed by a massive Greater horntail Urocerus gigas (which scared the life out of me :) )

Cheers,

Stuart.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Yesterday evening, driving home from work along the lanes, there was a fox cub sat in the middle of the road enjoying the sun. It bounded along in front of the car for a bit before turning through a gateway into a freshly cut hay field and bounding over the piles of cut grass. The whole time it was being dive bombed by swallows that had obviously taken a dislike to its presence. :)

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Saw a roe deer yesterday afternoon, never seen one this close to my village. Then it dissapeared in a wheat field.

Last edited:

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Does anyone else notice when housemartins go into alarm call mode? Normally it's a buzzard of sparrow hawk passing through but this morning red kite :) I know they're getting pretty common now but they're such impressive birds when they get close, I just love seeing them around here now.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Does anyone else notice when housemartins go into alarm call mode? Normally it's a buzzard of sparrow hawk passing through but this morning red kite :) I know they're getting pretty common now but they're such impressive birds when they get close, I just love seeing them around here now.

I've been looking into this recently - tracking by using/understanding bird language and behaviour. It's a helluva subject to take on, but can really see how useful it is to utilise their eyes and ears.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
It must be hard for sparrow hawks to get around unseen this time of year with so many eyes watching. I bet they get a thrill if they sneak into the garden unseen that must rival that feeling you get when you change lanes on the motorway and don't hit the catseyes.

That might just be me actually...

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
At the end of a long (for me) two summit hike in the White Mountains (New Hampshire, USA) I was traversing along an okd railway line back to the trail head when an adult black bear emerged out of the forest onto the railway line about 50 yds ahead. I turned and walked away as quickly as possible.railwayThe bear strode across the railway and went into the woods on the downhill side. I usually relish wildlife encounters on a hike, and this year have spotted moose and fox, but this one I only relished in retrospect. At the time i was more concerned to fet the hell out before it registered me as a threat. About 1/2 hour later, an adult bear was reported crossing the main road running parallel to the the railway about a mile below.

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
Fallow and Roe deer along with a fox this morning. Also found a dead Barn Owl, in an open-sided barn of all places. It was ringed so I've logged the find online. Apparently I'll receive some info about the bird.

it may be the same owl I've watched hunt when stalking in the past. Sad.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Yesterday the dog alerted me to a roe deer while I wasn't paying attention. Also saw some very big fish in my local channel. Not sure what they were. Maybe mullets...

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
Had a day at Flamingo Land so the list is as follows Giraffe, White Rhino Tiger, Lions, Zebra, Alpaca, Penguins etc, Had a Cracking day:cool:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
We have a Badger visit our garden every night (we watch him from the bathroom window) Wood-mice inhabit our hedge, Squirrels invade our birdfeeder, Jays, Greater Spotted Woodpeckers , all sorts of Finches and Tits visit and yesterday we found a dead Rat under the apple-tree...

Turnstone

Apr 9, 2013
Germany
It seems that all the animals around here avoid the heat. Only the swifts seem to enjoy the weather. And the bees and butterflies don't look as if they mind, either.

But yesterday in the evening I saw the red squirrel again. It lives somewhere around the house, but I don't see it daily. I always enjoy whenever my eyes catch it!

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
Saw two buzzards last week. Not exactly a rare sight in the countryside anymore, but this was in an inner-city park. The park for all its shortcomings is a wildlife haven. Can count about 30-40 rabbits on a nice evening, foxes, jays and I even literally bumped into a badger last year while walking the dogs one night.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Today. One jay in a cherry tree, enjoying the fruit, and a butterfly that looked interesting but which didn't settle so which will remain forever unidentified.

Yesterday, 47 species of moths, a great diving beetle, two sorts of mayfly, some stoneflies, some craneflies, and 3 harlequin ladybirds. And a tawny owl. I was moth trapping :)

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
Forgot to say I saw a bloody huge dragonfly in my garden today. Are these on the rise? because I see these more and more nowadays. Never used to so much when I was younger.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE