Wellie wellie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buster80

Forager
Apr 12, 2015
Scotland
Hi

My work boots are magnums but they're giving up the ghost for walking in the wet conditions,they're drying out as I type.

I'm looking for cheap wellies to fill the gap till I can afford better boots,something around £20 preferably less.

I see dunlop ones around my price range but I'm walking maybe a total of 5-6 miles to get to and fro camp,does anyone have these and do they hold out o.k on longish walks??

Do I go size up for bigger socks as well?

Cheers

Buster

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
My preference now is for rigger style wellies, easy to tuck your trousers into if needed, wider top than trad wellies but you can get your trousers over the top too.

Bit shorter than standard wellies and look better too, this is just an example, I prefer the non toecap protector (sole protection is pretty much always included), makes for a much lighter wellie overall, shop around for better prices on the non-full safety types.

e.g. https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?gfe_...wellingtons&tbm=shop&spd=17443273391207080706

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Dunlop's a pretty good, that's why so many farmers wear them! My preference is for Grubs boots but they're a good bit more than your budget.

Buster80

Forager
Apr 12, 2015
Scotland
Hi

Those rigger boots look spot on but I'm struggling to find a non steel toe cap version,do you have a brand that I can search for?

Are normal rigger boots waterproof? They come in at my budget as well??

Sports direct sells the dunlop ones,going to have a try on today and see how they fit.

Thanks

Buster

Last edited:

Guyjames

May 29, 2014
Winchester
You can get rigger boots quite cheap from places like ScrewFix and Tool Station - not sure if they would do a non-steel toe version though, as they are aimed at tradesmen.

Good luck!

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Totally waterproof Buster80, just a different design of welly, I choose them over the standard welly design everytime now, I prefer the riggers that have the pull-up loops that finish flush with the top of the riggers, rather than the loops extending above the rim of the boot.

I'll have a google for non-steel toecap type, sorry but I cannot remember where I bought mine.

Buster80

Forager
Apr 12, 2015
Scotland
Picked up a pair of dunlops for a tenner,quite roomy so will need a liner or a thick sock,will do for now.

Will keep looking for non safety riggers.

Thanks all

Buster

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Buster80,

My apologies, just checked my rigger boots, company issue Dunlop Purofort have steel toe-caps, and the loops finish above the top of the boot, (as said, i do not care for this as the loops tend to make it just a little more inconvenient when you want your trousers pulled down over your riggers, don't look so neat and tidy as flush loops either.

I was mistakenly referring to a pair of standard black wellies that I bought from toolstation for £7.00, cause they had no steel toe-cap and are much lighter than safety's, I have 2 pairs of black safety wellies with heel, sole and toe protection, good protection but clumpy to wear for non hazardous conditions.

Possibly this type: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Wor...ts/sd3247/Wellington+Boots/p66402#item_detail

The £7.00 wellies are like the equivalent of 'wellie slippers' weight wise :), if I find lightweight rigger wellies with flush loops then I will buy them, best of both (or 3) worlds.

Sorry for any inconvenience to you mate.

Buster80

Forager
Apr 12, 2015
Scotland
I went to sports direct as I wanted to try before I buy,ordered a pair of liners to go with.

That toolstation link isn't working for me??

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE