Well Helloo out there..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

R Doull

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2006
Scotland
hi All I'm kinda new to the site.. so don't all jump on me at once ;)

anyway I'm sure I'll be learing alot from you all and I'll put in my 2p worth every now and then when I can ;)

Just come back from a meet and after talking to a few of you there I thought I'd come and join you all here too.. and to proove it .. I'm here.. :)

one thing though.. I was talking to one person about forcing out toxins in timber.. I got the wrong timber at the time.. I think i said Juniper..:( I ment Yew..:eek: I realise there is a huge diffrence and wanted to correct myself asap.. :eek:

anyway.. looking forward to reading more on here..

HELLO :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello :D and welcome to the virtual campfire :cool:

No quaich going around this one but we the keep the kettle handy ;)

Thanks for the infomation on the timbers, I thought about it at the time and was thinking that it could be really useful sometimes. I was thinking about spoons and spurtles though.

atb,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry, I'm kind of hi-jacking your thread for a moment. :eek:

I had a new quaich with me at the recent meet up, made for me by one of my woodturner friends. It's made of laburnum though. I had wondered when he gave it to me if it were safe to actually use and that's where the discussion on forcing out toxins, like fire hardening the tip of a shaft, came from. R. knows his timbers, it was just late and kind of mellow around the fire......see the threads on Morch's for photos.

cheers,
Toddy

R Doull

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2006
Scotland
Thanks for the Welcome all.. :D

On the subject of timber toxins.. I was asking around at work and for it to work the timber has to go from tree to Fire in no more than 30 mins.. this prevents the timber from drying out at all and so absorbing the toxin.. normally these are held in the resin and not the fibers so if ou can force the resin out without drying then you are on your way.. it sounds really easy.. but it's not.. as you have only experiance to tell you when the toxins are out 100% and um.. with some toxins.. even 1% can be nasty....

the guy I was talking to says that he bleaches the timber in the embers.. then soaks it over night.. and bleaches it again.. does this 4 times.. that way he says if it's not out 100% it's diluted enough for him..

if anyone does try this though pls remember that there is no way to know 100% that it is safe...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE